I'm seriously considering a photo safari to Denali late next summer,
to hopefully catch the "autumn" colors there (and, if I'm lucky, some
Northern Lights from high latitudes). I'm wondering if any PDMLers
have made the trip and have any words of advice.

My thinking, if I can get away with returning a rental car to a
different city than I'm leaving from, is to fly into Fairbanks and
drive Denali from the north to the south over several days and then
leave from Anchorage.

I'm not sure of the length of the trip. Ideally, I'd like to leave the
Friday before Labor Day and come home the weekend after Labor Day. I'm
just beginning my research of how long it takes to drive, calculating
the cost ... hiking options, etc.