Your Christian Brothers were very different from the ones who ran my prep
school. Their motto was 'spare the rod and spoil the child'.

Ignorant, brutal, superstitious thugs, every single one of them.

"Boys were prepared for passing exams by a combination of relentless study and
remorseless use of the strap, an 8in-long leather baton which thrashed young
hands, legs and bottoms with all the regularity of the chiming of the angelus
bell."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/christian-brothers-make-their-deathbed-confession-1268168.html