Hello John, I tried all the Free AV stuff you mention + some more. So
I removed all of them including Symantec or something that came
bundled with my Toshiba 4K laptop running Windows 10. I also removed
Spybot Search & Destroy as I read online that it shuts down Microsoft
AV & Firewall.

So you guessed it right now, I downloaded the Free Windows Defender
from the Microsoft Web Site. Along with Windows Firewall that came
pre-loaded with Windows 10. They are both doing a great job.

Microsoft even added a right click link on any file to scan it for
viruses. And it automatically updates itself daily without fail.

Give it a trial without biasing yourself from internet reads.

Regards.
Bipin

Landscape photography is an expression of joy and God’s bounty