Your 20-40 is a DC motor lens, not SDM. Now I have two SDM lenses, a 16-50 2.8 and 50-135 2.8, the 16-50 is fast enough, the 50-135 is slow to focus, although its speed improved when it had its SDM motor changed after it broke down. The 50-135 is very good at follow focus, though. I also had the 55mm 1.4 SDM and it was slow indeed, although accurate. The only DC lens I have, the 18-135 WR is quite fast, faster than any SDM lens I've had so far.