Hi, Rick,

I wish this were happening some 9 years ago, while I was still in San Diego...

As for the "shooting venues", - I would recommend three "sets":
1. Several places along the shore.
and
2. "Safari"-park (formerly known as Wild Animal Park).
3. Balboa Park (near downtown).

First about the Safari park: What I like about it is that most animals are not in cages as in case of a traditional zoo, but in an open space. And they have a safari tour, where they take you in the back of a small track into those areas. That tour is not cheap, but it's a great experience, IMHO. (I'd try to reserve that in advance, - look at the website for times and procedures.) One catch is that this park is at a distance from San Diego. I am not sure how much an uber ride will cost.

Balboa Park has several different sites. I'd recommend the Botanical building (with a nice Lily Pond in front):
http://www.balboapark.org/in-the-park/botanical-building
they also have a nice Japanese Garden if you are into that.
As an added bonus, there is a photography museum, - you can check what exibition is on display there now. The traditional Zoo is attached to Balboa park, - and it is also very enjoyable.

Finally, the sea-side points that I personally enjoy:
1. La Jolla Coves
2. Similar sites: Shelter Island or Harbor Island (the latter is within walking distance from the airport)
3. Vicinities of the Cabrillo National Monument.
4. Coronado Island: both the side facing downtown and the ocean - near Hotel Del Coronado (That's where "Some like it hot" movie was shot).

As a matter of fact, of these four, I'd suggest taking Coronado Ferry from the side of downtown (I believe it departs from two different places). Then enjoy "Coronado Ferry Landing" area, then take a quick Uber/taxi drive to Hotel Del Coronado, walk through it to the beach, walk along it in the NW direction, catch Uber to get to downtown (or elsewhere) via Coronado bridge -- that's a spectacular view, but you cannot stop there.
Or, you can do in the reverse order.

La Jolla Coves would be the second recommendation from these four.
When there, also walk through La Jolla downtown, - they have some nice art galleries (if you like those).

If you've been to all those before, and would rather enjoy a hike, you might consider Torrey Pines beach, and then a hike through the Torrey Pines reserve and hitting the Glideport. In a good weather, the Glideport is a nice place to be in the late afternoon. You might see people on gliders, with Kites. And it also gives a great sea view from the height of some 370 ft.
Torrey Pines area is north of La Jolla, - so it all requires a ride.

La Jolla downtown (5-10-minutes walk from La Jolla Cove) and a bunch of places @Coronado Landing have seafood (and other) restaurants. Most are touristy and a bit pricy, but not too bad, especially in La Jolla.

My personal favorite seafood place (very casual) is
Blue Water Seafood Market and Grill, which is relatively close to both downtown and airport:
http://bluewaterseafoodsandiego.com/todays-menu/
They have both local and non-local fresh fish. It is good for both lunch and informal dinner. And they have local craft beers. If you care for tasty seafood and not that much for pampering and white-cloth ambience, - that's the place to hit.
I've recommended this place to many people, and everybody enjoyed it.

I hope this helps.

Igor