Wow. I used to live just south of where the fire is, up in the hills over
Aptos. (If you search on "Aptos View Road, Aptos, California" in Apple Maps, it
drops a pin on the road just a mile or so from where the house is.)

Our property line was the NIsene Marks State Park ... part of Loma Prieta. The
epicenter of the 1989 Loma Prieta quake was a bare couple of miles away at
most. By that time, I'd moved to San Francisco and weathered out the quake
there in relative safety. But my dear friend Virginia Marks, the owner of the
Aptos house, was still living there. I remember getting down to the house for a
visit after the quake and feeling nearly constant tiny tremblors tick-ticking
through the flooring. Ginny had spent two nights sleeping in the truck in a
small open clearing nearby, fearing the trees would come down on the house.

A wildfire is FAR scarier. :-|

... I remember the house and the wonderful time I lived there and was part of
the Marks family there as if it were yesterday. It was, in reality, 1981 to
1983 that I lived there. But I visited often—all holidays, whenever I could get
away from JPL in SoCal, Molecular Design in San Leandro, and Apple in
Cupertino—for many years afterwards. I will never forget the quiet beauty of
the place and the extraordinary kindness and love afforded by John and Virginia
Marks, and their large, rambling family. John died in 1986 while I was
traveling for JPL, and Virginia survived him until 2002. After that the house
was sold and that wonderful retreat into the woods at the top of Nisene Marks
Park was lost to me.

Remembering all the wonderful times we had together in the little house on the
mountain brings tears to my eyes. I miss you, Ginny and John. To think that
house might be destroyed is so terribly sad. ... :-(

John's son Steven and his family live near me in Santa Clara now. I'll have to
call them.