Larry,

Good friend of mine has Sigma lens in Canon mount. He's using it on 5dmk3.
The results are excellent. Wide open center sharpness is really good. The
rendering of this lens is also very pleasing to his and actually to my eye
as well.

So if you really need 1.4 over 1.8, you cannot really go wrong with Sigma.

As for ergonomics, I suggest you visit a closest to you camera store and
give it a try.

Good luck with your hunt.
Boris