Igor PDML-StR wrote:

Larry,

I haven't done much of astro-photography, so, I am just
curious: why focusing at infinity wouldn't work in this case
(i.e. turning the focusing ring to the end of the range)?
Is it just because the particular lens(es) are not designed or
manufactured well for infinity focus? (E.g. they have "beyond infinity"
focus at the end of the wring range.)

Exactly. I've been told that "to infinity and beyond" is necessary for autofocus, although that doesn't seem true for my FA77. I suspect that it's just a lot less expensive to guarantee that a camera will focus past infinity than to carefully calibrate to go exactly to infinity. I wonder how much sample variation there is in registration distance between the mount and the sensor, as that would also affect the "infinity focus point".

Igor