John Francis wrote:
On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 11:41:08AM -0500, John Francis wrote:
On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 10:08:46AM +0000, Steve Cottrell wrote:
On 17/12/16, Larry Colen, discombobulated, unleashed:

Going to full frame, I no longer have a lens for the k1 to fill the
niche of my 18-250, being reasonably long, if not particularly fast, but
will still fit in my camera bag and not weigh a ton.
The da 55-300, despite nominally being an aps lens seems to do ok on ff.
Is there anything even better, preferably not too expensive?
Just being a fly in your ointment for a minute - why would you consider
a lens of such sweeping focal length? Surely with the K1 having such a
good sensor, using what can only ever be an inferior lens (with such a
large zoom range) is counter-productive?
That's not always the case - back when I was regularly shooting motorsports
(on film ...) I was used to seeing a lot of the full-time photographers
using the Canon L 35-350, which was an amazingly good lens.  But that was
the exception (and by now I suspect modern digital sensors would point out
flaws in that lens that we didn't see when limited by film resolution).

It turns out that I was gifted a 55-300 for the holidays. One thing that I didn't notice last weekend is that it does vignette between about 100 and 200mm.

FWIW - back in those film days I picked up an FA 80-320 as my long-reach
lightweight carry-around (replacing a 100-300 which I never really liked).
It still seems to be fairly well thought of.  Furthermore, it would be
available on the same terms as my heavyweight alternative (the 80-200/2.8);
I just came across the 80-320, which I hadn't seen for several years, when
we were going through a pile of boxes to find out just what was in them :-)

I'd certainly be willing to take it out for some exercise sometime.  :-)