> On Jan 15, 2017, at 1:10 PM, Alan C <c...@lantic.net> wrote:
>
> We have two touring circuses in SA, the relocated Mongolian & Boswell-Wilkie.
> Both have animal acts. They are still well supported here. The Elephants,
> horses & camels are big drawcards. These are social animals linked to humans
> for centuries. From what I have seen, thy are treated well and seem to enjoy
> interacting with people even outside the actual performances. I think the
> animal rights activists are a bit over the top. Why haven't they targeted
> horse racing & polo? Other animals, especially the big cats, pose much more
> of a problem - shades of the Colosseum in ancient Rome! Both our circuses
> have their resident staff & artistes but many come & go on short term
> contracts. There is plenty work available around the world. Cirque Soleil for
> instance.

I experienced Ringling Brothers as a little kid back in the mid 40’s. Followed
the elephant parade from the train early in the morning and then watched them
work with the men to put up the big tents. A magical experience with my
grandfather. I don’t remember if we went back for an actual performance, but I
sure remember the elephants and the men working together.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

"Imagining the other is a powerful antidote to fanaticism and hatred."

- Amos Oz