I figured it out eventually.  The setting for letting the camera work
with non-A aperture has to be set to allow focal length setting for
shake reduction, otherwise it wont let you.  Once I did that, I picked
55mm which was closest to 60 (but not over).

Thanks for the comments.  The small bug looks really good on a big
screen, where the bokeh can really shine.

--
-- Reduce your Government Footprint