That's a good thought regarding the lenses. It might be worth checking in a while how the foreign counterparts of TSA are reading the ban.
(It's often hard to argue with those.)

As for the camera, the primary concern is not about damage but about theft. A valuable item in the suitcase has a high potential of being removed from there.

Worse than that, there is yet another factor.
With connections, the likelyhood of a suitcase being lost is far from zero. When you have a valuable item in it, and you are flying from/to/through countries with low salaries and/or high level of corruption, the chances of the suitcase being lost become very significant.
So, even if your camera is insured, you are increasing chances for the
headache related to the rest of your belongings.

With the disproportionally low financial responsibilities that airlines carry for each lost suitcase, the airlines have rather low incentives to guard the luggage, or to track it properly.

In today's electronic world, when you can see (close to) real-time tracking of FedEx and UPS packages, - you'd be surprised that the airlines (at least many of them) do not track the movement of luggage in real time.
I.e. they cannot see where the last scan was.
My understanding is that the only reason for the bar codes on the luggage tags today is just for sorting. (Or, maybe they have some capability to research those scans offline.) It looks like, unlike Fedex and UPS, they have no financial incentives to introduce tracking. (Cf. USPS has finally implemented real-time tracking of packages to compete with Fedex and UPS, despite being reluctant if not defiant for many-many years.)

Igor