Hi Rick -

Does the lens do this on multiple bodies? You might want to verify that it is the lens and not the camera. My venerable Pz-1p developed the same problem with some lenses. It appears that the shaft from the body is not linking up to the lens right. It's only a couple of lenses and they work well on other bodies, but consistently falter on the Pz-1p (though like in your case, re-mounting the lens or shaking it gets things working again, for a while.)

Good luck with the home renovations - we replaced all of our galvanized plumbing and Knob and tube wiring last year. Lots of dust, noise and disruption.

Mark