I've tried the Q7 some more for stacks now, and noise doesn't seem to be a problem at ISO 100. That's one of the pros.

Another pro is what I observed to begin with, that at the extreme end of magnification, certainly at 10X, the low vibration and high pixel density makes it possible to produce very detailed images. With the extreme crop, however, it also means that one needs several stacks to cover the surface of even a small subject, and then mount them like a mosaic to a complete picture afterwards. Lots of work, but it's nice to know that a method is workable for those smallest of critters when vibration becomes a showstopper with SLR-style cameras.

A big con is that whatever chromatic aberrations are present in the optics are spread over more pixels when pixel density is higher.

For more conventional macro stuff, I can only speculate yet. I suspect there is a sweet spot in the tradeoffs between magnification, DOF and focus range that justifies its use.

Jostein