Actually, I won't be taking advantage of that caolorie burning potential increase very often, because it will wreck my knee joints and spine.
as earlier mentioned, I do have sherpas

ann

On 6/24/2017 8:50 PM, Jostein wrote:
Came to the same result as Bill on the added calories needed to bring the pack up one flight of stairs. But that's just the extra energy now "stored" in the package as potential energy.

A backwards trace of the energy could look something like this:

To transfer the energy to the package, your muscles has to do work. Muscles are machines that convert some of its fuel to work, and some to heat. So the energy for both must come from food, which is where we usually count calories.

So the number of calories you need to ingest to perform the work is far greater than Newtonian physics will have you believe from the perspective of the package. :-)

Jostein