Thanks for the heads up, and for this story Ann!

On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 20:27:22 -0500 ann sanfedele wrote:

>My personal favorite is for a very personal reason.. (in addition to it being
>a lovely shot)
>I think I know those ravens at the Painted Desert!
>WHen did you take the photo, Jan?

It was taken on July 28, 2008, on a roadtrip starting in Phoenix,
and traveling over 5000 miles in a grey Mustang convertible,
visting about 10 parks along the way :)

This is directly next to the vistor centre in the Painted Desert,
when I drove up there from the Petrified Forest ...

>I named  the one in front "Sam" .. Ok, maybe it isn't Sam and his wife, but I
>made friends with a Raven on the blue mesa overlook in the late 80's - He was
>stealing crackers from me then I couldnt resist
(what you are not supposed to do) feeding him.  A couple of years later,
nearing the overlook , I saw a raven overhead and called out to him..
>damned if he didn't come in for a landing, right in front of me... much to the
>delight of RIchard's daughter who was traveling with us.

Cute ...

>While it is unlikely Sam recognized me and was just looking for anyone to give
>him a handout, the ranger
>said it was entirely possible it was the same guy, as ravens settle in to
>favorite places and also mate for life.
>
>I took this photo of Sam in 1990 - and it got dolled up for inclusion in my
>book of poetry..
>
>https://annsan.smugmug.com/Works-in-Print/Books-in-Print/The-Part-of-Fortune/i-SHfm4CB/A

Regards, JvW