From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Igor PDML-StR
Sent: Thursday, 25 January 2018 5:22 AM
To: PDML@pdml.net
Subject: Re: 4k tv, monitor, watching movies, displaying photos

Larry,

Just to address the oversaturated look at the stores:
It's a fad of the past NN years. So, I believe, the demo is designed to run in
the "high-saturation"
mode, whatever it might be called with the particular brand/model.
There are typical presets that are "sports, movies, entertainment, ..."
You might be able to use a remote and try to switch to a different mode that
would be more
realistic.

  Tomshardware.com used to be a reasonable source for reviews on such devices.
I don't know how bad
they became in the recent past:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-tvs,review-2224.html

I haven't been following the TV technology closely in the past few years,
although it is quite
possible that we might have to buy a new TV in the near future (as our 10-y.o.
TV might be dying).
So, please share back to the list if you find some other useful resources.

One thing I have in mind is that all the technologies-du-jour (Roku, Air-Play,
...) tend to be
becoming mostly obsolete quicker than the TV itself. So, it seems to me that it
might be a more
flexible solution to buy these "smart" technologies as a separate box, as
opposed to the one
built-in.

While I was watching the trends, Samsung was the best (LCD panels).
I wouldn't buy a plasma TV (if they still sell those).
I think OLED and QLED would be more expensive than LED, but they are also MUCH
more expensive.
So, LED or LCD would be the best bet on a budget.

Cheers,
Igor