From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of John
Sent: Thursday, 1 March 2018 8:40 AM
To: pdml@pdml.net
Subject: Re: New laptop

On 2/28/2018 00:37, mike wilson wrote:
>> On 28 February 2018 at 04:34 John <sesso...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> This might be a good time to reconsider your position on Windows 10.
>>> You've got two years left before Microsoft drop all support for W7.
>>> That means there won't even be any security updates after Jan 2020.
>>>

>> F*** 'em. I'll figure out how to install Linux ... or maybe turn it
>> into a Hackintosh.
>
> UBUNTU is an easy install.  Download the file and write it to a DVD -
> maybe a memory stick by now, shove it in the machine and follow
> instructions.  Automatically installs Firefox and Thunderbird.
> (Windows) problems fixed, permanently.

For now I'm sticking with Windoze7, at least until Micro$oft murders it.

But, yes, most likely Ubuntu when my paranoia level at the lack of security
updates after Jan 2020.

I am pretty much removing ALL of the pre-installed "software" to make room for
the programs *I* use.
The trial versions of Word Perfect and Quatro Pro are going bye-bye; so is
"BullGuard".

Open Office, here I come.

Antivirus software? How does Windoze Defender compare to aftermarket products?

None of the reviews (PC Magazine, PC World, TopTen) even list it. But I'm not
sure how much faith I
can put in them, because some of them rate Norton highest (and the others
recommend it highly).

My previous experience with Norton is why I'm using AVG currently.
Recently AVG has begun exhibiting the same behavior that pissed me off against
Norton.

Definitely not going with Kaspersky. Maybe Bitdefender or Avast?

Or is Windoze Defender good enough?