> On May 22, 2018, at 9:17 AM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
>
> Which one is that?

Bear Images Photographic in Palo Alto. There are near where K&S used to be, on
Lambert Street. They don't have a storefront, they cater mostly to commercial
and professional photographers. I did a lot of business with them when I was
running my photo business a decade ago. Good folks.

> I find San Jose Camera pretty good, I bought my first couple of Pentax bodies
> there.  They definitely have a range of stuff.

SJ Camera used to be another good shop, but now all I see there is mostly the
kind of stuff that I bought and was done with an age ago. I see little of the
old store where the personnel are knowledgeable and helpful to someone past the
newbie period of photographic efforts. It's sad ... that would be a great and
convenient place for me if there was anything there I needed or wanted, it's
just three miles away.

> Keeble and Shuchat went out of business last year. They were the high end
> place I knew about.

I think K&S has been gone two or more years now. I knew the guys there for
twenty-five years at least. They were a full service shop, with consumer and
pro sections, darkroom section, their own processing lab, a repair department,
and a gallery room that I hung at least a few photos in one or two exhibitions.
I was very sad to see them go out, but all the profit had disappeared from the
business with the rise of internet buying and ebay. People would go there, get
loads of help and information from them, and then go buy their equipment
elsewhere at cut rate prices. The processing business that used to fund a lot
of that is simply non-existent now. A B&M just cannot survive that scenario in
this area, the cost of doing business here is too high.