Hi All,

While considering various options of replacing my failed camera, I've considered of what would be the next steps of Pentax with respect to the new models.

Asahi Man (a reputable Pentax-insider information leaker on dpreview) indicated that Pentax has a big focus on FF cameras and lenses in the upcoming year (which is apparently a big 100 anniversary year for Pentax, or, more exactly, Asahi Kogaku Goshi Kaisha).
In his recent posts, I haven't seen any mentioning of the APS-C line.
The last flagship APS-C camera (K-3ii) was released 3.5 years ago (Apr. 2015), about 1.5 years after K-3 (October 2013). I might be wrong, but it seems to me (and it looks like some other people, including at least some PDMLers were of the same opinion) that KP, announced in January 2017 (more than 1.5 years ago) was positioned a bit below K-3, even though it is clearly above the "second-tier" (K-50, K-70) product line, and its release is in the time line corresponding to the flagship line. (Actually, my memory is a bit vague about the parameters that made KP inferior to K-3.)

(You can see the summary of DSLR production years e.g. here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_cameras#K_Series_(Digital)  )

This suggests that Pentax probably somewhat lowered their top APS-C line in favor of the FF line, and the next APS-C body when and IF it comes out (which I'd expected to happen before the holiday season, but it didn't happen, - so, maybe in spring of 2019), - it might not have all the desired features that K-3/K-3ii had.

The impression I've got is that APS-C cameras might no longer be a priority for Pentax R&D, and Pentax will just continue some incremental releases in this area.

I realize that its a pure speculation at this point, but I was curious about the thoughts of other PDMLers on this issue.

Cheers,

Igor