He's an American Cocker Spaniel, I'm not sure that I can recommend one.   The breed can be quite active, (kind of an understatement).  On the other hand it is one of the breeds that you can find fairly easily as a rescue.  He is a great friend, and now that he's older had mellowed quite a bit.  He really needs to be groomed every three to four months to keep his fur relatively short, otherwise he'll be way to shaggy.