The British pound stopped being convertible some years before that, and I'm old enough to remember when Nixon took us off the Gold Standard, and when Johnson before him stopped the average citizens converting to specie, until then the Treasury was required to issue a number of silver certificates. That's when the government started issuing "Johnson slugs", instead of silver coins.  That was 1964 by the way, by the way I never called them that, but I had friends and acquaintances who did.