Igor, I did a lot of tests too. The TC shots were always inferior to the cropped shots without TC. I only have consumer lenses so I can't comment on how a TC performs with Limited or Star lenses. Paul's bird images with the D-FA 150-450 with 1.4x TC (=630mm) are so good which seems to suggest one need to start with top line glass. I'll dig out some of my test shots & post. I had a 1.7x TC AF converter from film days which I have now sold.

Alan C