On 7/11/2020 2:15 AM, Bob wrote:

It doesn’t mean that they themselves were evil, but that they suffered in their
short lives.

I concur. The meaning of words and their usage have changed over time. I am forever encountering inexperienced genealogists who misinterpret old gravestones and old records because they read them as if they were written today instead of understanding them as the writers intended. The classic example concerns "senior" and "junior". In colonial New England those terms had nothing to do with relationship.
--
Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS, AGS, MA Soc. of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project