I'm sure Pentax is surpassed at times, but I'm surprised at your statements
concerning the following comparisons:

1) FA 35/2.0 AL  versus Zeiss Jena 35/2.4 (M42)
I would bet that resolution will be better for the Pentax, especially in
the corners at at any f-stop below f4. I'm not sure in what 'overall'
qualities the FA would be inferior to the Zeiss, since it also is
extraordinarily contrasty and has surprisingly good bokeh (see Takinami's
website).

2) The Pentax F/FA 50/2.8 macro is quite an extraordinary lens - what is
the evidence, that the Sigma 50/2.8 is better?

3) Curious: do you have the source for the comparison of the A 135/1.8 and
Vivitar Series 1 135/2.3? The A 135/1.8 is not quite as sharp as the A
85/1.4 -but I always thought that this is as sharp as 135mm lenses get.
Would be interested to know if the Vivitar is really better (comparing same
f-stops of course).

Knut

PS: Carl Zeiss Jena did produce some quite extraordinary lenses! I do think
they are great! But the limitations of non-autodiaphragm screw mounts must
be considered as well.