> On 15 June 2021 at 22:56 ann sanfedele <ann...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>

> I wonder if they call them DRAGON flies because of their ugly faces..

Interesting question.  Possible reasons:
they are aggressive, flying predators
they display what appears to be curiosity - walk into their territory and they
will hover in front of your face, apparently examining you.
part of their jaw shoots forward to capture prey, rather like a dragon shooting
fire.

Or you could get all folklorey about it.
https://www.cleggs.com/news/how-did-the-dragonfly-get-its-name/

I think they look cute.

--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List