I've been reading over this book recently just to get a feel for how a
well-known photographer went about his work. Its a pretty good book,
although, a lot of the pictures have similarities, making some of the
narratives a little repetitive: Most of them were taken only a little ways
from his car. He used a yellow 15 filter on a large number of them. All of
them seem to have had a technical problem to overcome (too much contrast, or
this tone blends with that tone, or his favorite...this negative was very
difficult to print).

One thing that I did notice that was strikingly different about a lot of his
photographs was that he didn't stick to just one film or just one developer.
Most of what I hear on forums and primers and the like seem to echo the
opposite of that. Find a film you like, stick with it, and do similarly with
processing until you feel confident to experiment. Ansel appears to do more
than experiment though. He presents each situation as if he knew the nuances
of exposing, developing, and printing with various films, developers, and
papers (even so much as mixing different developers together).

To me, It is really quite astonishing. Ansel truly appears to be a technical
genius (say what you like about his photos being mere postcards, although i'd
like to not open that can of worms for this discussion). Am I more astonished
than I should be at this? Or am I just not knowledgeable enough to recognize
flowery representation of mediocrity? He did, afterall, write the book
himself.

Brent Roberts
B'ham....Alabama....not England