Paul, the rectangular shape tells that it’s the frame, strings, and soundboard
from an upright piano. I think that a flood could easly have torn away the
cabinet and action, leaving this.

The cast-iron frame would weigh about 150-200 lbs, though, and a thin maple
soundboard wouldn’t be bouyant enough to float it. How it got there remains a
mystery-- though a raging torrent could have done it, I suppose.

Rick