I had jiggled quite a bit off and on over time .. but I worked at it more following your suggestion... I got it to work, then turning it off gave me the nasty message again then I worked more on it and got it back up! phew!  Just was too impatient!  Cant get it to go on to auto but I've pretty much always shot on ap priority anyway.. and I got it there... phew!

thanks much!
now back to St Andrews - Tiger Woods due to appear in an hour :-)

ann