The one big improvement with many of the newer computer designed and
manufactured lenses is sharpness in the corners. But when it comes to the full
image at F5.6 or F8D many of the older lenses are equal to today in most
respects. Of course, with digital sensors the coding change does help control
reflection off the sensor surface. That’s what I’m told. But better old lenses
under controlled lighting … I’m having no problem. Just keeping away from the
sun flare.

That said, the newer computer designed zoom lenses are sharper across the
range. But your classic prime lenses, no sense and not using them. They’re
good. I did it a couple months ago with an old Konica AR lens, 57 mm f1.4.
Optical design is everything, whether computer made or mechanically ground.
That lens serves as evidence to me that rendering of the image is far more
important than simple resolutions. The Konica has a much flatter field than
anything else I have and that focal length range, including the Pentax.

In short, there are advantages to some of the newer lenses but as you have
found many of the classics remain the equal of the newer models. For all
practical purposes.
--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List