> On Feb 5, 2023, at 1:07 PM, Bill <anotherdrunken...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> OK guys and gals, here is your dumbass question of the month.
> Yes it's coming early.

It’s never too early.

> I'm looking at RAID enclosures, and am leaning towards Synology, but haven't
> settled on which one.

I have an older  DS416 that I’m relatively happy with.  The biggest downside is
it turns out it has a maximum Volume size.  I expect the new software has
solved that issue.

> I'm looking at the DiskStation DS1522+ or the DiskStation DS620slim
> It looks like either will suit my needs well into the future.

Another nice thing about Synology is that they make nice multipurpose servers
and can do a lot of things besides just storage.

> They talk about RAID configurations, and this is where I run out of brains.
> I'm thinking RAID 5 would be the configuration I want for maximum redundancy,
> but I really know nothing about this.
> Any thoughts from the would be greatly appreciated.

I’m running RAID 5 on mine.

My strategy is to have Raid 5 of the synology, and JBOD (just a bunch of disks)
elsewhere.   Since my older archive of raw files changes very little,  I’ll
just back everything up to another drive, and then sometimes stash that at a
friends house.  The important things are to have multiple backups, and a
diversity of backup techniques.

The one downside of RAID, is that you can’t necessarily take the drives out and
put them in something else to recover the data. It’s pretty resilient, but kind
of all or nothing.

When I first tried to do RAID 5 on a linux box, something went wrong and killed
all of the drives in the box.  Arrrggh.

--
Larry Colen
l...@red4est.com