On Tue, Mar 21, 2023 at 08:13:54AM +0200, Alan C wrote:
> When I see 'phone shots like that, I wonder why we bother with cameras.

Quite.

As I mentioned, I was interested to compare modern technology to
what I was able to do twenty+ years ago.

I managed to dig out one of the images from 2000.  This will have
been taken on my PZ-1p.  I'm pretty sure I was using my A* 300/2.8,
probably shooting 1600 ASA Fuji slide film.

After some playing around in PhotoShop, I came up with this:

    <http://www.panix.com/~johnf/CopperFamily.jpg>

(for reference, here's the 2023 phone image again):

    <http://www.panix.com/~johnf/BlackBrothers.jpg>

I could improve the old image some more by smoothing out the blue
speckles in the darkest parts, and losing a few unwanted highlights,
but it doesn't look too bad.  The phone image is better, though.
(And, in all fairness, the stage lighting is much better in 2023).

As to the question as to why we bother with cameras - in my case it
is because there are some things my current camera can do quite a bit
better than I can - things like keeping the driver of a fast-moving
car in focus, rather than focussing on some other part of the car.
It's also rather better than my phone at longer focal lengths ...
--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List