On Fri, May 12, 2023 at 8:40 AM David J Brooks <pentko...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Have I screwed myself here? To free up some space in my time machine drive
> I moved 47 backup files from 2014 to trash.

I kinda winced when I read that, Dave. ;-)  You really need to leave
Time Machine alone to manage its own files. Many snapshots are
dependent on earlier data being there to be coherent. Normally it
clears space automatically as it needs room for new backup snapshots.

Sometimes the best thing to do with a malfunctioning Time Machine is
format the drive and restart TM using it. Basically, just reset and
start again. Of course you lose all the backups until now so you are
taking a risk, but just take care for the first few days until you
have a full and complete backup and a snapshot or two on the disk and
you should be good to go.

--
-bmw