I realized that I was asking the wrong question.  An external NVME SSD over
USB-C would give me much better performance, and I really only need access to
the large drives when rummaging through my full archive, rather than my working
files.

The SSD would be quieter and faster than spinny drives, and would be excellent
for first level "backup".  In a while, when I run out of space on my current
drives, I could build a new NAS for my everything archive, and relegate my
current drives to offsite backup.