Yesterday I went to an excellent retrospective exhibition of photos by Eve
Arnold, which concentrated mainly on her representation of women, putting it
into perspective of her life and times.

The exhibition held at the Newlands House Gallery in Petworth is called “To
Know About Women”, which is a quote from Eve Arnold. Although I was already
familiar with all of the photos on show it was very instructive to see them as
a whole, beautifully printed, laid out thematically and chronologically; the
texts that accompany it are very informative.

While I was in Petworth, and before going into the exhibition, I had a look
round a very good commercial fine art gallery called Ottocento in the town,
which has some works by Picasso, Dora Maar, Cocteau and the like.

Curiously and coincidentally they have a nice drawing by André Lhote, who was
Henri Cartier-Bresson’s drawing and composition teacher before HCB turned to
photography. It’s the first time I’ve seen an actual work by Lhote.

Of course HCB founded Magnum, and Eve Arnold was the first woman to join
Magnum, and she acknowledges her great debt to him, so there’s a nice
coincidental connection between the two shows.

--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List