good questions.

something to try..

- Create a new folder and name it TestCat
- Copy just the .LRCAT file from your regular LR catalog folder into it, and
rename the file TestCat.LRCAT
- Drag the .LRCAT file onto the LR Classic application icon

Lightroom Classic should open the catalog and regenerate all of the previews
and other components in it.

The logic behind this test is that if the reason LR Classic cannot open your
catalog is that the previews are screwed up in the file system, this gives LR
Classic an opportunity to completely re-generate all of the previews and
thereby eliminate any possible file system problems that might be there in the
previews and other ancillary files. If it works, you can either just adopt this
new catalog as your working catalog, or go back to your original catalog
folder, delete everything in there except the .LRCAT file, and do the same
thing again so that you dont have to properly rename all the various files
manually (assuming you want to keep the original name of the catalog
folder/catalog).

If that does not work, either the LRCAT file is damaged or LR Classic.app is
damaged. The next thing to do would be to delete the application and all of its
sub folders, and reinstall it from scratch. Do the test again. If that doesn't
work, the .LRCAT file is damaged: go to a back up.

There is of course possible that the original file repository file system is
damaged. If this is so, then the above test will not be able to find the files
in order to recreate the previews and other data. That's a bad situation as it
means you have to start afresh with a new catalog once you've vetted tat the
original files have been properly copied to a newly formatted volume where the
file system is fresh and without damage. It means you lose all the edits you've
made, unless you have "Saved metadata to files" along the way. Hopefully,
things are not that bad off.

--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List