Not quite so. Practically any tool, that can resize images using
bilinear or spline/bicubic interpolations, makes the resulting image
smooth (I know only one tool that can't do it - Microsoft Paint :).
Genuine Fractals helps to preserve image sharpness, that is, if there is
a sharp edge (line) on the image, the resulting image will have the same
sharp (more or less) edge, not blurred one. And as most images ca be
seen as regions with the edges, filled with some color - then image
enlarged with Genuine Fractals will look better.

Ed