Hi, Tom
No, the old is not going to work. The lens must be
kept with the diafragm "closed and locked" (a position
Nikon's lenses have that is a rough equivalent to
Pentax's A position), since aperture is controlled
from body in that very basic model.
The 50mm 1.8 is very good optically, bokeh a bit harsh
a la Nikon, construction is a POS, but it's a bargain
for the money.
Regards

Albano

--- tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My sister has a N50 (I think) with some crappy zoom
> lens. I want to
> get her a 50.
>
> - Do the older non-af 50's work on this camera?
> - IS the AF 50/1.8 optically ok? I know it's got
> pretty crappy build
> quality, but if the optics are ok and close-focusing
> is good it might
> be the ticket.
>
> I know this isn't exactly the place for this post,
> but I know some of
> you have experience with Nikon, and I didn't want to
> have to subscribe
> to that crappy Nikon list.
>
> tv

=====