http://www.codepink4peace.org/

CODEPINK:
WOMEN'S PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE FOR PEACE

We call on women around the world to rise up and oppose the war in Iraq. We
call on mothers, grandmothers, sisters and daughters, on workers, students,
teachers, healers, artists, writers, singers, poets, and every ordinary
outraged woman willing to be outrageous for peace.

Women have been the guardians of life- not because we are better or purer or
more innately nurturing than men, but because the men have busied themselves
making war. Because of our responsibility to the next generation, because of
our own love for our families and communities and this country that we are a
part of, we understand the love of a mother in Iraq for her children, and the
driving desire of that child for life.

Our leaders tell us we that we can easily afford hundreds of billions of
dollars for this war. But in the United States of America, many of our elders
who have worked hard all their lives now must choose whether to buy their
prescription drugs, or food. Our children's education is eroded. The air they
breathe and the water they drink are polluted. Vast numbers of women and
children live in poverty.

If we cannot afford health care, quality education and quality of life, how can
we afford to squander our resources in attacking a country that is no proven
immediate threat to us? We face real threats every day: the illness or ordinary
accident that could plunge us into poverty, the violence on our own streets,
the corporate corruption that can result in the loss of our jobs, our pensions,
and our security.

In Iraq today, a child with cancer cannot get pain relief or medication because
of sanctions. Childhood diarrhea has again become a major killer. 500,000
children have already died from inadequate health care, water and food supplies
due to sanctions. How many more will die if bombs fall on Baghdad, or a ground
war begins?

We cannot morally consent to war while paths of peace and negotiation have not
been pursued to their fullest. We who cherish children will not consent to
their murder. Nor do we consent to the murder of their mothers, grandmothers,
fathers, grandfathers, or to the deaths of our own sons and daughters in a war
for oil.

We love our country, but we will never wrap ourselves in red, white and blue.
Instead, we announce a Code Pink alert: signifying extreme danger to all the
values of nurturing, caring, and compassion that women and loving men have
held. We choose pink, the color of roses, the beauty that like bread is food
for life, the color of the dawn of a new era when cooperation and negotiation
prevail over force.

We call on all outraged women to join us in taking a stand, now. And we call
upon our brothers to join with us and support us. These actions will be
initiated by women, but not limited to women. Stand in the streets and
marketplaces of your towns with banners and signs of dissent, and talk to your
neighbors. Stand before your elected representatives: and if they will not
listen, sit in their offices, refusing to leave until they do. Withdraw consent
from the warmongers. Engage in outrageous acts of dissent. We encourage all
actions, from public education and free speech to nonviolent civil disobedience
that can disrupt the progress toward war.