From: "C A Winter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Letter from Canada
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:13:48 +0000

Open Letter to the People of the United States of America.

Dear Sisters, Brothers, Neighbours, Cousins, Friends:

We are residents of Peterborough, Ontario, a medium-sized Canadian city. Like
you, we are concerned about the threat of war which casts a huge shadow across
the approaching season of peace and brotherhood. We worry about our young men
and women who may be sent to serve in any conflict, and we feel premature grief
for the families of those who will not return.

We also grieve for the parents of little ones in Iraq who have lost precious
children because of the sanctions which our countries continue to impose on
that devastated land. We feel guilt that an epidemic of childhood cancers and
terrible birth defects has been attributed to the l20 tons of Uranium-238
(D.U.) munitions used during the Gulf War,since most of that uranium originally
came from Canada.

It is never justified to punish the innocent. Certainly there can be no
justification for killing 1/2 million helpless children because their country
is dominated by a brutal dictator whom our nations supported in the past, even
as he used weapons of mass destruction against Iranians and Kurds.

Harper's Magazine, in its November 2002 issue, has called the sanctions "a
weapon of mass destruction". They are crippling the middle class, which has
always been the major stronghold of opposition to Hussein. People of Iraqi
background in our community advise us that the most effective way to end the
rule of Hussein (and any abusive leader who might succeed him) would be to end
the sanctions, provide support to the Iraqi middle class and let the Iraqi
people remove Hussein from power and determine their own future.

At the beginning of the Gulf War, Prfesident Bush Sr. stated emphatically, "Our
quarrel is not with the people of Iraq". Still we continue to cause the deaths
of 3,000 children under five years of age a month. We invite you to join with
us in asking our respective governments to bring an end to this slaughter of
the innocent by lifting the sanctions and sending relief and medical supplies
to save the lives of Iraq's dying children. Then we can begin the process of
helping the inocent suffering civilians to rebuild their lives, reactivate the
opposition which will topple the tyrant, and determine their own destiny by
democratic means.

We send you our best wishes for a New Year blessed with brotherhood and peace.
Sincerely,
Carol Winter and Members of Kawartha Ploughshares,
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.

Contacts: Carol Winter (705) 745-9l50 or Dr. Joyce Barrett (705) 743-024l.