Published on Thursday, December 19, 2002 by the Los Angeles Times

Hundreds Are Detained After Visits to INS
Thousands protest arrests of Mideast boys and men who complied with order to
register.

by Megan Garvey, Martha Groves and Henry Weinstein

Hundreds of men and boys from Middle Eastern countries were arrested by federal
immigration officials in Southern California this week when they complied with
orders to appear at INS offices for a special registration program.

The arrests drew thousands of people to demonstrate Wednesday in Los Angeles.

Immigration and Naturalization Service spokesmen refused Wednesday to say how
many people the agency had detained, what the specific charges were or how many
were still being held. But officials speaking anonymously said they would not
dispute estimates by lawyers for detainees that the number across Southern
California was 500 to 700. In Los Angeles, up to one-fourth of those who showed
up to register were jailed, lawyers said.

The number of people arrested in this region appears to have been considerably
larger than elsewhere in the country, perhaps because of the size of the
Southland's Iranian population. Monday's registration deadline applied to males
16 and older from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan and Syria. Men from 13 other
nations, mostly in the Mideast and North Africa, are required to register next
month.

Many of those arrested, according to their lawyers, had already applied for
green cards and, in some instances, had interviews scheduled in the near
future. Although they had overstayed their visas, attorneys argue, their
clients had already taken steps to remedy the situation and were following the
regulations closely.

"These are the people who've voluntarily gone" to the INS, said Mike S. Manesh
of the Iranian American Lawyers Assn. "If they had anything to do with
terrorism, they wouldn't have gone."

Immigration officials acknowledged Wednesday that many of those taken into
custody this week have status-adjustment applications pending that have not yet
been acted on.

"The vast majority of people who are coming forward to register are currently
in legal immigration status," said local INS spokeswoman Virginia Kice. "The
people we have taken into custody ... are people whose non-immigrant visas have
expired."

The large number of Iranians among the detainees has angered many in the area's
Iranian communities, who organized a demonstration Wednesday at the federal
building in Westwood.

At the rally, which police officials estimated drew about 3,000 protesters at
its peak, signs bore such sentiments as "What Next? Concentration Camps?"
and "Detain Terrorists Not Innocent Immigrants."

The arrests have generated widespread publicity, mostly unfavorable, in the
Middle East, said Khaled Dawoud, a correspondent for Al Ahram, one of Egypt's
largest dailies. He questioned State Department official Charlotte Beers about
the detentions Wednesday after a presentation she made at the National Press
Club in Washington. Egyptians are not included in the registration requirement.

Beers, undersecretary of State for public diplomacy and public affairs, was
presenting examples of a U.S. outreach campaign for the Middle East, which
includes images of Muslims leading happy lives here. Dawoud asked how that
image squared with the "humiliating" arrests in recent days.

"I don't think there is any question that the change in visa policy is going to
be seen by some as difficult and, indeed -- what was the word you used? --
humiliating," Beers said. But, she added, President Bush has said repeatedly
that he considers "his No. 1 ... job to be the protection of the American
people."

Relatives and lawyers of those arrested locally challenge that rationale for
the latest round of detentions.

One attorney, who said he saw a 16-year-old pulled from the arms of his crying
mother, called it madness to believe that the registration requirements would
catch terrorists.

"His mother is 6 1/2 months pregnant. They told the mother he is never going to
come home -- she is losing her mind," said attorney Soheila Jonoubi, who spent
Wednesday amid the chaos of the downtown INS office attempting to determine the
status of her clients.

Jonoubi said that the mother has permanent residence status and that her
husband, the boy's stepfather, is a U.S. citizen. The teenager came to the
country in July on a student visa and was on track to gain permanent residence,
the lawyer said.

Many objected to the treatment of those who showed up for the registration. INS
ads on local Persian radio stations and in other ethnic media led many to
expect a routine procedure. Instead, the registration quickly became the
subject of fear as word spread that large numbers of men were being arrested.

Lawyers reported crowded cells with some clients forced to rest standing up,
some shackled and moved to other locations in the night, frigid conditions in
jail cells -- all for men with no known criminal histories.

Shawn Sedaghat, a Sherman Oaks attorney, said he and his partner, Michelle
Taheripour, represent more than 40 people who voluntarily went to register and
were detained.

Some, he said, were hosed down with cold water before finding places to sleep
on the concrete floors of cells.

Lucas Guttentag, who heads the West Coast office of the American Civil
Liberties Union's immigrant rights project, fears the wave of arrests is "a
prelude to much more widespread arrests and deportations."

"The secrecy gives rise to obvious concerns about what the INS is doing and
whether people's rights are being respected and whether the problems that arose
in the aftermath of 9/11 are being repeated now," he said.

Many at Wednesday's protest said they took the day off work to join the rally,
because they were shocked by the treatment.

"I came to this country over 40 years ago and got drafted in the Army, and I
thought if I die it's for a good cause, defending freedom, democracy and the
Constitution," said George Hassan, 65, from the San Fernando Valley.

"Oppressed people come here because of that democracy, that freedom, that
Constitution. Now our president has apparently allowed the INS vigilantes to
step outside the Constitution."

Ramona Ripston, executive director of the ACLU of Southern California, called
the detentions doubly disturbing because "a lot of the Iranians are Jews who
fled Iran because of persecution, and now they are undergoing similar
persecution here.... This is just terrible."

Attorney Ban Al-Wardi, who saw 14 of her 20 clients arrested when she went with
them to the registration, said that although everyone understands the need to
protect the nation against terrorist attacks, the government's recent action
went too far.

"All of our fundamental civil rights have been violated by these actions," she
said. "I don't know how far this is going to go before people start speaking
up. This is a very dangerous precedent we are setting. What's to stop Americans
from being treated like this when they travel overseas?"

Times staff writers Greg Krikorian and Teresa Watanabe in Los Angeles and
Johanna Neuman and Ricardo Alonso-Zaldivar in Washington contributed to this
report.

------------------------

Los Angeles (Reuters)

Hundreds of Iranian and other Middle East citizens were in southern California
jails on Wednesday after coming forward to comply with a new rule to register
with immigration authorities only to wind up handcuffed and behind bars.

Shocked and frustrated Islamic and immigrant groups estimate that more than 500
people have been arrested in Los Angeles, neighboring Orange County and San
Diego in the past three days under a new nationwide anti-terrorism program.
Some unconfirmed reports put the figure as high as 1,000.

The arrests sparked a demonstration by hundreds of Iranians outside a Los
Angeles immigration office. The protesters carried banners saying "What's next?
Concentration camps?" and "What happened to liberty and justice?"

A spokesman for the Immigration and Naturalization Service said no numbers of
people arrested would be made public. A Justice Department spokesman could not
be reached for comment.

The head of the southern California chapter of the American Civil Liberties
Union compared the arrests to the internment of Japanese Americans in camps
during the Second World War.

"I think it is shocking what is happening. It is reminiscent of what happened
in the past with the internment of Japanese Americans. We are getting a lot of
telephone calls from people. We are hearing that people went down wanting to
cooperate and then they were detained," said Ramona Ripston, the ACLU's
executive director.

JAILS OVERFLOWING

One activist said local jails were so overcrowded that the immigrants could be
sent to Arizona, where they could face weeks or months in prisons awaiting
hearings before immigration judges or deportation.

"It is a shock. You don't expect this to happen. I is really putting fright and
apprehension in the community. People who come from these countries -- this is
what they expect from their government. Not from America," said Sabiha Khan of
the Southern California chapter of the Council on American Islamic Relations.

The arrests were part of a post Sept. 11 program that requires all males over
16 from a list of 20 Arab or Middle East countries, who do not have permanent
resident status in the United States, to register with U.S. immigration
authorities.

Monday was the deadline for men from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Libya and Sudan. News
of the mass arrests came first in southern California, which is home to more
than 600,000 Iranian exiles and their families.

Officials declined to give figures for those arrested or for the numbers of
people who turned up to register, be fingerprinted and have their photographs
taken.

"We are not releasing any numbers," said Immigration and Naturalization Service
(INS) spokesman Francisco Arcaute.

CALLS FOR HELP

Islamic groups and the local chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union
(ACLU) said they had been swamped with calls for help.

INS spokesman Arcaute said those arrested had violated immigration laws,
overstayed their visas, or were wanted for crimes. The program was prompted by
concern about the lack of records on tourists, students and other visitors to
the United States after the Sept. 11 hijack plane attacks on New York and
Washington.

Islamic community leaders said many of the detainees had been living, working
and paying taxes in the United States for five or 10 years, and had families
here.

"Terrorists most likely wouldn't come to the INS to register. It is really a
bad way to go about it. They are being treated as criminals and that really
goes against American ideals of fairness, and justice and democracy," Khan said.

The Iranian protesters said many of those detained were victims of official
delays in processing visa and green card requests.

"My father, they just took him in," one young man told reporters. "They've been
treating him like an animal. They put him in a room with, like, 50 other people
and no bed or anything."

Khan said one of those in jail was a doctor, who was being sponsored for U.S.
citizenship when his sponsor died.

One Syrian man said he went to register in Orange County with a dozen friends.
He was the only one to come out of the INS office. "All my friends are inside
right now," M.M. Trapici, 45, told reporters. "I have to visit the family for
each one today. Most of them have small kids."