http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4325510,00.html

When peace broke out
British and German soldiers made history in 1914 when they stopped
shooting and started to sing carols and play football together. Malcolm
Brown on one of the most heartening Christmas stories of modern times

Malcolm Brown
Guardian
Monday December 24, 2001

The facts almost beggar belief. At the first Christmas of a hideous war,
Germans and British sang carols to each other, lit each other's
cigarettes in no man's land, exchanged souvenirs, took group
photographs, even played football. Some sort of accommodation with the
enemy, from cheerful waves and shouted greetings to full-scale
fraternisation, took place over two-thirds of the 30 miles of the
western front held by the British Expeditionary Force.

Far from denouncing the event, the press celebrated it with a spate of
approving headlines. Leader writers mused thoughtfully about it. Most
national and many local newspapers carried letters from soldiers who had
taken part in it. In an early example of instant history, none other
than Sir Arthur Conan Doyle saluted it in a book published in 1915 as
"one human episode among all the atrocities which have stained the
memory of the war".

And then, to all intents, the story was forgotten. It disappeared under
the gas clouds of Ypres and the colossal casualty lists of the Somme and
Passchendaele. Thus, looking back on that stunning Christmas from the
1920s, a former infantryman who had shared the camaraderie across the
lines could write: "Men who joined us later were inclined to disbelieve
us when we spoke of the incident, and no wonder, for as the months
rolled by, we who were actually there could hardly realise that it had
happened, except for the fact that every little detail stood out well in
our memory."

"Every little detail" - the devil is often said to be in the detail, but
not in this story. On Christmas Eve at Plugstreet Wood, Germans put
Christmas trees on the parapet of their front-line trench and sang
Stille Nacht (Silent Night), then largely unfamiliar to British ears but
instantly acknowledged as a carol of extraordinary beauty. Moved to
respond the territorials opposite struck up with The First Noel. So it
continued until, when the British sang O Come, All Ye Faithful, they
heard the Germans joining in with the Latin words Adeste Fideles.
Recalling the event many years later, one former soldier commented: "I
thought this a most extraordinary thing - two nations both singing the
same carol in the middle of the war."

A memorable joint burial service between the trenches on Christmas
morning offers another uplifting detail. The prayers and readings were
spoken first in English by a battalion chaplain and then in German by a
young divinity student. "It was an extraordinary and most wonderful
sight," wrote one witness. "The Germans formed up on one side, the
English on the other, the officers standing in front, every head bared.
I think it was a sight one will never see again."

To deal decently with the dead was one powerful motive for establishing
a truce. The Christmas spirit provided another. "It doesn't seem right
to be killing each other at Xmas time," a Tommy noted in his diary.
Officers as well as men succumbed to the festive mood. Thus the
commanding officer of a guards battalion strode out to join a mixed
group of British and Germans and with the cry "Well, my lads, a Merry
Christmas to you! This is damned comic, isn't it?" handed round a bottle
of best rum which, one participant recorded, was "polished off before
you could say knife".

Other lubricants assisted the event. Near Armentieres the premises and
product of a brewery had fallen to the enemy. On Christmas morning,
after calling out "Don't shoot", a party of Germans rolled a barrel of
best Belgian beer into no-man's-land and indulged in a seasonal booze-up
with the British, who in this particular case were Welsh. No
nonconformist conscience inhibited these celebrations.

Details which seem almost ludicrous enrich the story. A British Tommy
met his German barber from High Holborn in London and had a
short-back-and-sides between the lines. A German who had raided an
abandoned house strutted about wearing a blouse, skirt and top hat and
sporting an umbrella. After a bout of between-the-lines photography, one
officer wrote in a letter home that another truce had been fixed for new
year's day "as the Germans want to see how the photos come out".

"Footer", a favourite recreation then as now on both sides, was an
inevitable part of the occasion, but there was not one England v Germany
fixture as such, rather a scatter of impromptu games or kickabouts,
sometimes using a tin can or a rolled-up sandbag as a ball. Here and
there a genuine leather ball was produced and a more serious contest
attempted. A German lieutenant wrote of one such effort: "We marked the
goals with our caps. Teams were quickly established for a match on the
frozen mud, and the Fritzes beat the Tommies 3-2".

Not everybody approved. One officer, ordered to prepare a more usable
pitch by filling in shell holes, angrily refused to comply. This must
surely be a very early case of a failure to create a level playing
field. The proposed match did not take place.

Some Frenchwomen, hearing of the goings-on at the front, spat at members
of one battalion next time they were in town. The medical officer of a
non-trucing unit, furious at the unsoldierly behaviour of a neighbouring
battalion, approvingly reported "a bit of a scrap" between his men and
theirs. He wrote home: "We aren't here to pal up with the enemy."

Yet the general reaction was one of amazed acceptance of a happening
that delighted far more than it dismayed. Letters home confirm the
incredible nature of the occasion. "It would have made a good chapter in
Dickens's Christmas Carol," wrote one soldier. "Just you think," mused
another, "that while you were eating your turkey I was out talking with
the men I had been trying to kill a few hours before! It was
astounding."

The truce was not organised, nor, as it might be assumed, contagious,
with units catching the spark from their neighbours. Rather, it was the
spontaneous product of a mass of local initiatives. Thus peaceful areas
were interlaced with "business as usual" zones where hostilities
continued. This could have unhappy results. One sergeant crossing no
man's land to offer cigarettes to a friendly German regiment was shot by
a sniper from a regiment not observing a ceasefire. He was officially
described as "killed in action", his "action" being the distinctly
unmilitary one of attempting to carry Woodbines to the enemy. The
Germans sent across an apology.

Curious as it might seem, the truce produced no courts-martial. Some
generals and local commanders huffed, but most senior officers took a
relaxed view. A "rest from bullets", as one of their number put it,
allowed the troops to work above ground while improving their often
inadequate trenches. Both sides appreciated the opportunity. At one
point some Tommies, admiring the better progress made by the enemy
opposite, went over and asked if they could borrow some of their tools;
the Germans complied.

One famous participant who responded to the mood of the occasion was the
cartoonist Bruce Bairnsfather, creator of the archetypal British Tommy
"Ole Bill", who took part as a front-line subaltern. He later wrote:
"There was not an atom of hatred on either side that day, and yet, on
our side, not for a moment was the will to war and the will to beat them
relaxed. It was just like the interval between the rounds of a friendly
boxing match."

For clearly the war had to go on. Yet in some areas there was no instant
rush to resume hostilities. A guards CO noted in his diary on December
28: "I don't think that they want to start more than we do as it only
means a few of each side being hit and does not affect the end of the
war." A subaltern wrote on the 30th: "At about lunchtime a message came
down the line to say that the Germans had sent across to say that their
general was coming along in the afternoon, so we had better keep down,
as they might have to do a little shooting to make things look right!
And this is war!"

By early 1915, however, it became clear that the interlude was, or soon
would be, over. The Manchester Guardian spoke the necessary words in an
article of January 7: "'But they went back into their trenches,' a
perfectly enlightened and quite inhuman observer from another planet
would perhaps say, 'and are now hard at it again, slaying and being
slain.' Evidently their glimpses of the wiser and better way were
interesting but of no very great practical importance. To which, of
course, we might reply with great reason that there was very much to be
done yet - that Belgium must be freed from the hideous yoke that has
been thrust upon her, that Germany must be taught that culture cannot be
carried by the sword."

And after that the story went underground for many years. The play and
film Oh! What A Lovely War revived it - to some disbelief - in the 60s.
Paul McCartney made a popular video of it to accompany his moving song
The Pipes of Peace in 1984. Before that in 1981 I directed a BBC
documentary on the subject, under the title Peace in No Man's Land. The
book followed three years later. In 1993 an illustrated children's
version of the event by Michael Foreman called War Game won a national
prize.

Now at every Christmas personal accounts of the truce are regularly read
from pulpits, on television, on radio. This year sees the publication of
a new history under the title Silent Night, the author being the
distinguished American historian, Stanley Weintraub. At a time when the
world is yet again at war, this strange event of 1914 - with its message
of common humanity and goodwill between enemies - has a special
relevance. Far from losing its attraction, it is a story that seems to
gain in resonance and potency as the years go by.

Malcolm Brown, a historian at the Imperial War Museum, is a former BBC
TV producer. Christmas Truce, by Malcolm Brown and Shirley Seaton is
published by Pan Books. Silent Night, by Stanley Weintraub, is published
by Simon and Schuster.