ACT NOW TO STOP WAR BEFORE IT STARTS:

January 18 Update
Read on to find:

I. Update on Bush's rush towards war
II. How you can make a financial contribution
III. Demonstrations around the world January 18
IV. Plans for Jan. 18 in DC: Speakers, Scenario & more

ONLY THE PEOPLE CAN STOP BUSH'S RUSH TOWARDS WAR
The January 18 National March on Washington DC and joint action in San
Francisco comes just nine days before what has been slated by the Bush
administration to be a deadline in their drive towards war on Iraq.

Military preparations are underway at a feverish pitch. Last week, more than
1,350 Florida Army National Guard and U.S. Army reservists were called to
active duty (according to the Miami Herald, Dec. 27). This is the largest
call-up of Florida's National Guard and reservists since World War II -- and
it's also the first deployment of an infantry battalion since that time. Though
the military has not made an official statement as to why the units have been
mobilized at this time, the 150 members of a military police unit based on Fort
Lauderdale who have been called up as part of this mobilization are being sent
to Kuwait, a clear indication that they will be playing a role in any war in
Iraq.

On January 27, Hans Blix (the head of UNMOVIC, the United Nations Monitoring
and Verification Commission) will make a report on the first two months of
weapons inspections in Iraq. Bush administration officials have indicated that
they view this date as a deadline for a final decision regarding their war
plans.

We believe that we can still stop this war from happening. Thousands of
innocent people in Iraq and an unknown number of U.S. GIs will die unless we
can stop Bush's war plans. It is urgent that the anti-war movement not be
lulled into a false sense of optimism because Iraq and the UN are cooperating.
The Bush Administration is determined to wage war and occupy Iraq. The extent
to which the world is voicing cautious optimism about a peaceful solution, is
also the extent to which the Bush foreign policy team is racing to dash all
hope for such an outcome.

The January 18 National March on Washington DC may very well be the last
opportunity that we have on a national level to show the breadth and depth of
opposition before the scheduled plan to start the war.

We rely on the generous donations of those individuals who believe in our work.
Many have made a financial donation. We would like to again thank you. Without
your contributions we could not carry out this work. If you want to make a
contribution within the tax year (by December 31), you must make your online
contribution by 11:59 pm. If you are sending a check, as long as you date it by
December 31, it can be received next week (send checks to 39 W. 14th St., Room
206, New York, NY 10011). Online contributions can be made at
http://www.internationalanswer.org/donate.html

DEMONSTRATIONS AROUND THE WORLD JANUARY 18
In addition to the National March on Washington DC and joint action in San
Francisco, many international conferences and organizations have taken up the
call, making January 18 an international day of action opposing the war. At the
time of this writing, anti-war demonstrations have been scheduled in at least
12 countries for the weekend of Jan. 18-19, 2003.

A worldwide anti-war conference which took place December 18-19 in Cairo,
Egypt, and included hundreds of representatives from 20 countries, set as its
first order of business a worldwide mobilization for January 18. The organizers
of the conference have called for a protest in Egypt, and many other
organizations in attendance have called for actions. In Japan, several
organizations will hold protests in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and Fukuoka. In Canada,
protests are planned across the country. There will be several demonstrations
in Italy and in Spain, and actions in Belgium, Indonesia, Britain, Germany,
Austria and Russia.

PLANS FOR JAN. 18 NATIONAL MARCH ON WASHINGTON DC
The scenario plan for Washington DC includes an opening rally on the West side
of the Capitol Building (on the National Mall, at 3rd St. and Constitution Ave.
NW). This rally will include representatives from the diverse movements and
organizations that oppose the war. Following the rally, we will hold a mass
march to the Washington Navy Yard -- a massive military installation located in
a working class neighborhood in Southeast Washington DC that parks warships on
the Anacostia River.

**********

SPEAKERS & MESSAGES TO INCLDUE:
- Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney
- Bishop Thomas Gumbleton, Auxiliary Bishop, Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit
- Ramsey Clark, former U.S. attorney general
- Mike Farrell, actor
- Elizabeth McAlister, Jonah House
- Mahdi Bray, Executive Director, Muslim American Society Freedom Foundation
- Brenda Stokely, President, District Council 1707 AFSCME; Co-Convener, New
York City Labor Against the War
- Damu Smith, Black Voices for Peace
- Michael Letwin, Co-Convener, New York City Labor Against the War
- Bill Fletcher, Co-Chair, United for Peace; TransAfrica
- Peta Lindsay, A.N.S.W.E.R. Youth and Student Coordinator, Howard University
student
- Rev. Graylan Hagler, Senior Minister, Plymouth Congregational Church
- Bayan
- Free Palestine Alliance
- Macrina Cardenas, Mexico Solidarity Network
- Yoomi Jeong, Korea Truth Commission
- Nicaragua Network
- Partnership for Civil Justice
- Muslim Students Association of the U.S. & Canada
- IFCO/Pastors for Peace
- International Action Center
- Rev. John Dear
- Blasé Bonpane, Director, Office of the Americas
- Rev. Herbert Daughtry, national pastor, House of the Lord Church, Brooklyn
- Not in Our Name Project
- Ron Kovic, Vietnam Veteran and author of "Born on the Fourth of July"
- Michael Tarif Warren, attorney
- Mumia Abu-Jamal
- Representative of women'sstruggle to defend reproductive rights on the 30th
anniversary of Roe v Wade

MUSICAL & CULTURAL PERFORMANCES INCLUDE:
- Chumbawamba
- Prime Meridian
- Patti Smith

**********

We are also writing tonight to thank you for your involvement in the anti-war
movement. We wish you and your families a happy New Year. Hopefully we have all
had a moment to rest and relax with loved ones as we recommit ourselves to
stopping the Bush administration's drive towards war on Iraq.

For more information on the January 18 National March on Washington DC and
joint action in San Francisco, and on Youth and Student Action Jan. 18-19, see
http://www.internationalanswer.org

For a list of CITIES ORGANIZING TRANSPORTATION, go to:
http://www.internationalanswer.org/campaigns/j18/j18contacts.html
If you're organizing a bus from your city, fill out the easy-to-use form at:
http://www.internationalanswer.org/campaigns/j18/j18contacts.html#list
(if this link does not take you directly to the form, please scroll down)
Help spread the word! DOWNLOAD the NEW FLYER at
http://www.internationalanswer.org/campaigns/resources/index.html
(If you are unable to download it, call 202-544-3389 or 415-821-6545 to have an
original copy mailed to you.)

For LOGISTICAL INFORMATION (directions, housing, parking, etc.), go to:
http://www.internationalanswer.org/campaigns/j18/logistics.html
YOUTH & STUDENT ACTION: JAN. 18-19
http://www.internationalanswer.org/campaigns/j18/students.html

**********

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
http://www.InternationalANSWER.org
http://www.VoteNoWar.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
New York 212-633-6646
Washington 202-332-5757
Chicago 773-878-0166
Los Angeles 213-487-2368
San Francisco 415-821-6545
Sign up to receive updates (low volume):
http://www.internationalanswer.org/subscribelist.html