Hands off the fat guy in the chicken suit, Mr. Mogul.

by Greg Palast, author of the New York Times bestseller, “The Best
Democracy Money Can Buy.”

Thursday, May 6, 2004

Palast is currently in LA to receive the ACLU's Freedom of Expression award.

When the fattened cats at Disney put the kibosh on Michael Moore's new
film, “Fahrenheit 9-11,” they did more than censor an artist.  Gagging
Moore is only the latest maneuver in suppressing some most uncomfortable
facts:  the Bush Administration's killing off investigations of Saudi
Arabian funding of terror including evidence involving a few members of
the bin Laden family in the USA.

I know, because, with my investigative team at BBC television and The
Guardian of Britain, I wrote and filmed the original reports on which
Moore's new documentary are based.

On November 11, 2001, just two months after the attack, BBC Television's
Newsnight displayed documents indicating that FBI agents were held back
from investigating two members of the bin Laden family who were fronting
for a "suspected terrorist organization" out of Falls Church, Virginia -
that is, until September 13, 2001.  By that time, these birds had flown.

We further reported that upper level agents in the US government informed
BBC that the Bush Administration had hobbled the investigation of
Pakistan's Khan Laboratories, which ran a flea market in atomic bomb
blueprints.  Why were investigators stymied?  Because the money trail led
back to the Saudis.

The next day, our Guardian team reported that agents were constrained in
following the money trail from an extraordinary meeting held in Paris in
1996.  There, in the Hotel Monceau Royale, Saudi billionaires allegedly
agreed to fund Al-Qaeda's "educational" endeavors.

Those stories ran at the top of the nightly news in Britain and worldwide
but not in the USA.  Why?

Our news teams picked up several awards including one I particularly hated
getting:  a Project Censored Award from California State University's
school of journalism.   It's the prize you get for a very important story
that is simply locked out of the American press.

And that hurts.  I'm an American, an L.A. kid sent into journalistic exile
in England.

What's going on here?

Why the heck can't agents follow the money, even when it takes them to
Arabia?  Because, as we heard repeatedly from those muzzled inside the
agencies,  Saudi money trails lead back to George H.W. Bush and his very
fortunate sons and retainers.  We at BBC reported that too, at the top of
the nightly news, everywhere but America.

Why are Americas media barons afraid to tell this story in the USA?  The
BBC and Guardian stories were the ugly little dots connected by a single
theme: oil contamination in American politics and money poisoning in the
blood of our most powerful political family.  And that is news that dare
not speak its name.

This is not the first time that Michael Moore attempted to take our BBC
investigative reports past the US media border patrol.  In fact, our joke
in the London newsroom is that if we can't get our story on to American
airwaves, we can just slip it to the fat guy in the chicken suit. Moore
could sneak it past the censors as 'entertainment.'

Here's an example of Moore's underground railroad operation to bring hard
news to America: In the Guardian and on BBC TV, I reported that Florida's
then Secretary of State, Katherine Harris, removed tens of thousands of
Black citizens from voter rolls just prior to the 2000 election.  Her
office used a list of supposed 'felons' - a roster her office knew was
baloney, filled almost exclusively with innocents.

I printed the first installment of that story in the Guardian papers while
Al Gore was still in the race.  The Washington Post ran my story seven
months later. By then, it could be read with a chuckle from the Bush White
House.

The Black voter purge story would have never seen the light of day in the
USA, despite its front-page play over the globe, were it not for Moore
opening his book, “Stupid White Men,” with it.

So go ahead, Mr. Mickey Mouse mogul, censor the guy in the baseball cap,
let the movie screens go dark, spread the blindness that is killing us.
Instead, show us fake fly-boys giving the "Mission Accomplished" thumbs
up.   It's so much easier, with the lights off, for the sheiks, who lend
their credit cards to killers, to jack up the price of oil while our
politicians prepare the heist of the next election, this time by computer.

Let's not kid ourselves.  Tube news in the USA is now thoroughly Fox-ified
and print, with few exceptions, still kow-tows to the prevaricating
pronouncements of our commander in chief.

Maybe I'm getting too worked up. After all, it's just a movie.

But choking off distribution of Moore's film looks suspiciously like a
hunt and destroy mission on unwanted news, even when that news is hidden
in a comic documentary. Why should the media moguls stop there?  How about
an extra large orange suit for Michael for the new Hollywood wing in
Guantanamo?

****

On April 26, Penguin launched the Expanded Election Edition of Palast's
New York Times bestseller, The Best Democracy Money Can Buy.  For more
information, or media inquiries, go to http://www.GregPalast.com.  Palast
will be speaking at the Immanuel Presbyterian Church Friday, May 7 at 7pm,
in Los Angeles, 3300 Wilshire Blvd - and in Washington DC on May 12.