http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/05/27/times/

Not fit to print:
How Ahmed Chalabi and the Iraq war lobby used New York Times reporter
Judith Miller to make the case for invasion.

continued...

It turned out that the aluminum tubes were covered with an anodized
coating, which would have been machined off to make them usable in a
centrifuge. But that change in the thickness of the tube wall would have
rendered the tubes useless for a centrifuge, according to a number of
nuclear scientists who spoke publicly after Miller's story. Aluminum,
which has not been used in uranium gas separators since the 1950s, has
been replaced by steel. The tubes, in fact, were almost certainly intended
for use as rocket bodies. Hussein's multiple-launch rocket systems had
rusted on their pads and he had ordered the tubes from Italy. "Medusa 81,"
the Italian rocket model name, was stamped on the sides of the tubes, and
in a factory north of Baghdad, American intelligence officers later
discovered boxes of rocket fins and motors awaiting the arrival of the
tubes of terror.

The probable source for Miller's story, in addition to U.S. intelligence
operatives, was Adnan Ihsan Saeed, an Iraqi defector Miller was introduced
to by Chalabi. Miller had quoted him in a December 2001 report when Saeed
had told her he had worked on nuclear operations in Iraq and that there
were at least 20 banned-weapons facilities undergoing repairs. Of course,
no such facilities have been found -- meaning Saeed was either lying or
horribly uninformed.

"I had no reason to believe what I reported at the time was inaccurate,"
Miller told me. "I believed the intelligence information I had at the
time. I sure didn't believe they were making it up. This was a learning
process. You constantly have to ask the question, 'What do you know at the
time you are writing it?' We tried really hard to get more information and
we vetted information very, very carefully."

But Miller's entire journalistic approach was flawed. A few months after
the aluminum tubes story, a former CIA analyst, who has observed Miller's
professional products and relationships for years, explained to me how
simple it was to manipulate the correspondent and her newspaper.

"The White House had a perfect deal with Miller," he said. "Chalabi is
providing the Bush people with the information they need to support their
political objectives with Iraq, and he is supplying the same material to
Judy Miller. Chalabi tips her on something and then she goes to the White
House, which has already heard the same thing from Chalabi, and she gets
it corroborated by some insider she always describes as a 'senior
administration official.' She also got the Pentagon to confirm things for
her, which made sense, since they were working so closely with Chalabi.
Too bad Judy didn't spend a little more time talking to those of us in the
intelligence community who had information that contradicted almost
everything Chalabi said."

Long after the fact, Miller conceded in her interview with me that she was
wrong about the aluminum tubes, but not that she had made a mistake.

"We worked our asses off to get that story," she said. "No one leaked
anything to us. I reported what I knew at the time. I wish I were
omniscient. I wish I were God and had all the information I had needed.
But I'm not God and I don't know. All I can rely on is what people tell
me. That's all any investigative reporter can do. And if you find out that
it's not true, you go back and write that. You just keep chipping away at
an assertion until you find out what stands up."

In that description of her methodology, Miller described a type of
journalism that publishes works in progress, and she raises,
inadvertently, important questions about the craft. If highly placed
sources in governments and intelligence operations give her information,
is she obligated to sit on it until she can corroborate? How does a
reporter independently confirm data that even the CIA is struggling to
nail down? And what if both the source and the governmental official who
"corroborates" it are less than trustworthy? According to Todd Gitlin of
Columbia University's school of journalism, a reporter in that position
needs to ladle on an extra helping of doubt. "Independent corroboration is
very hard to come by. Since she's been around, if you're aware that such
echo-chamber effects are plausible, what do you do? I think you write with
much greater skepticism, at times. I think you don't write at all unless
you can make a stronger case when you are aware that people are playing
you and spinning you for their purposes."

More than skepticism, though, Gitlin believes that news organizations have
a responsibility to explain possible motivations for whoever is leaking
the information to reporters. This can be done without identifying the
source, he insists, and the Times, as well as a few other papers, is
supposedly in the midst of adopting this protocol.

Miller's centrifuge story, although the most influential, was not the most
egregious of her pieces. A story titled "Illicit Arms Kept Till Eve of
War, an Iraqi Scientist Is Said to Assert" was based on a source she never
met or even interviewed. For that story, Miller watched a man in a
baseball cap from a distance, who pointed at the desert floor, and used
that as a basis for filing a piece that confirmed the U.S. had discovered
"precursors to weapons of mass destruction." According to her sources in
the Mobile Exploitation Team Alpha of the U.S. Army, this unnamed
scientist from Hussein's WMD program had told them the "building blocks"
of WMD were buried in that spot. Miller explained to me several months
later that she had seen a letter from the man, written in Arabic and
translated for her, that gave his claims credence.

"I have a photograph of him," she explained. "I know who he is. There's no
way I would have gone forward with such a story without knowing who my
source was, even if I got it from guys in my unit. You know, maybe it
turns out that he was lying or ill-informed or cannot be independently
verified."

The next day she was on national television, including PBS's "NewsHour
with Jim Lehrer," proclaiming that what had been discovered was "more than
a smoking gun" and was a "silver bullet in the form of an Iraqi
scientist." In an interview with Ray Suarez, Miller began using the plural
"scientists" and implied there was more than one source. She gave the Bush
administration credit for creating a "political atmosphere where these
scientists can come forward." The story was trumpeted by conservative
talk-show hosts like Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh and, once it was
zapped off to regional newspapers via the Times wire service, it acquired
even more dramatic purchase. "Illegal Material Spotted," the Rocky
Mountain News blared with a subhead that distorted even more: "Iraqi
Scientist Leads U.S. Team to Illicit Weapons Location." "Outlawed Material
Destroyed by the Iraqis Before the War" was the headline of the Seattle
Post-Intelligencer.

Unfortunately, none of it was true.

In its editors note, the Times admitted Miller's "informant also claimed
that Iraq had sent unconventional weapons to Syria and had been
cooperating with Al Qaeda -- two claims that were then, and remain, highly
controversial. But the tone of the article suggested that this Iraqi
'scientist' -- who in a later article described himself as an official of
military intelligence -- had provided the justification the Americans had
been seeking for the invasion. The Times never followed up on the veracity
of this source or the attempts to verify his claims."

Miller, who knew all of this already at the time I interviewed her,
remained righteously indignant, unwilling to accept that she had goofed in
the grandest of fashions.

"You know what," she offered angrily. "I was proved fucking right. That's
what happened. People who disagreed with me were saying, 'There she goes
again.' But I was proved fucking right."

Even though the Times has been, by its own admission, deluged with e-mails
and letters criticizing Judith Miller and the paper's coverage of WMD,
management has consistently defended her and refused to make statements
about her work in impartial public forums. The only time there has been
any hint that Miller's journalism was being deconstructed by editors was
in a note posted on an obscure blog run by the paper's new ombudsman,
Daniel Okrent. Times Executive Editor Bill Keller wrote that a "fair
amount of the mail on this subject seemed to me to come from people who
had not actually read the coverage, but had heard about it on the
cyber-grapevine." Keller, who was not executive editor at the time Miller
was filing her questionable dispatches, said, "I did not see a prima facie
case for recanting or repudiating the stories. The brief against the
coverage was that it was insufficiently skeptical, but that is an easier
claim to make in hindsight than in context." Rather than scrutinize his
correspondent's work, Keller chose to base his assessment of Miller's WMD
work on her past performances. Describing her as "smart, well-sourced,
industrious and fearless," Keller dismissed criticisms that her work was
fatally flawed.

Until this week, the Times blamed everyone other than its own editors and
reporters for its lapsed journalism. As late as May 21, in an editorial on
the disgraced Chalabi titled "Friends Like This," the paper contradicted
its own behavior and amplified its hypocrisies by an order of magnitude.
"There's little to recommend Mr. Chalabi as a politician, or certainly as
an informer. But he can't be made a scapegoat. The Bush administration
should have known what it was doing when it gave enormous credence to a
questionable character whose own self-interest was totally invested in
getting the Americans to invade Iraq."

All true -- but the paper failed to point out that much of its reporting
was dependent on Chalabi and Iraqi defectors provided through the exiled
Iraqi National Congress, the same operation that was getting the Bush
White House to gobble up its lies and distortions. Why weren't Times
editors as intellectually disciplined on the subject of Chalabi when
Miller and other reporters were trotting in with stories based on spurious
allegations from the Iraqi National Congress and Chalabi's merry band of
defectors?

The fact that Chalabi was able to feed disinformation to America's most
widely recognized publication and have it go relatively unchallenged as
the electorate was whipped into a get-Saddam frenzy ought to be keeping
Times editors awake all night. Nobody wanted a war against Iraq more than
Ahmed Chalabi -- and the biggest paper in the U.S. gave it to him almost
as willingly as the White House did.

The failures of Miller and the Times' reporting on Iraq are far greater
sins than those of the paper's disgraced Jayson Blair. While the
newspaper's management cast Blair into outer darkness after his
deceptions, Miller and other reporters who contributed to sending America
into a war have been shielded from full scrutiny. The Times plays an
unequaled role in the national discourse, and when it publishes a
front-page piece about aluminum tubes and mushroom clouds, that story very
quickly runs away from home to live on its own. The day after Miller's
tubes narrative showed up, Andrea Mitchell of NBC News went on national TV
to proclaim, "They were the kind of tubes that could only be used in a
centrifuge to make nuclear fuel." Norah O'Donnell had already told the
network's viewers the day before of the "alarming disclosure," and the New
York Times wire service distributed Miller's report to dozens of papers
across the landscape. Invariably, they gave it prominence. Sadly, the sons
and daughters of America were sent marching off to war wearing the boots
of a well-told and widely disseminated lie.

Of course, Judy Miller and the Times are not the only journalists to be
taken by Ahmed Chalabi. Jim Hoagland, a columnist at the Washington Post,
has also written of his long association with the exile. But no one was so
fooled as Miller and her paper.

Russ Baker, who has written critically of Miller for the Nation, places
profound blame at the feet of the reporter and her paper. "I am convinced
there would not have been a war without Judy Miller," he said.

The introspection and analysis of America's rush to war with Iraq have
turned into a race among the ruins. Few people doubt any longer that the
agencies of the U.S. government did not properly perform. No institution,
however, either public or private, has violated the trust of its vast
constituency as profoundly as the New York Times.

James C. Moore, a longtime journalist in Texas, is the coauthor of Bush's
Brain: How Karl Rove Made George W. Bush Presidential and author of the
recently published Bush's War for Reelection: Iraq, the White House and the
People."