OUR FOUNDERS AND THE UNBALANCE OF POWER:
Democracy Itself is in Grave Danger
by Al Gore

American Constitution Society
Georgetown University Law Center
June 24, 2004

When we Americans first began, our biggest danger was clearly in view: we
knew from the bitter experience with King George III that the most serious
threat to democracy is usually the accumulation of too much power in the
hands of an Executive, whether he be a King or a president. Our ingrained
American distrust of concentrated power has very little to do with the
character or persona of the individual who wields that power. It is the
power itself that must be constrained, checked, dispersed and carefully
balanced, in order to ensure the survival of freedom. In addition, our
founders taught us that public fear is the most dangerous enemy of
democracy because under the right circumstances it can trigger the
temptation of those who govern themselves to surrender that power to
someone who promises strength and offers safety, security and freedom from
fear.

It is an extraordinary blessing to live in a nation so carefully designed
to protect individual liberty and safeguard self-governance and free
communication. But if George Washington could see the current state of his
generation's handiwork and assess the quality of our generation's
stewardship at the beginning of this twenty-first century, what do you
suppose he would think about the proposition that our current president
claims the unilateral right to arrest and imprison American citizens
indefinitely without giving them the right to see a lawyer or inform their
families of their whereabouts, and without the necessity of even charging
them with any crime. All that is necessary, according to our new president
is that he - the president - label any citizen an "unlawful enemy
combatant," and that will be sufficient to justify taking away that
citizen's liberty - even for the rest of his life, if the president so
chooses. And there is no appeal.

What would Thomas Jefferson think of the curious and discredited argument
from our Justice Department that the president may authorize what plainly
amounts to the torture of prisoners - and that any law or treaty, which
attempts to constrain his treatment of prisoners in time of war is itself
a violation of the constitution our founders put together.

What would Benjamin Franklin think of President Bush's assertion that he
has the inherent power - even without a declaration of war by the Congress
- to launch an invasion of any nation on Earth, at any time he chooses,
for any reason he wishes, even if that nation poses no imminent threat to
the United States.

How long would it take James Madison to dispose of our current President's
recent claim, in Department of Justice legal opinions, that he is no
longer subject to the rule of law so long as he is acting in his role as
Commander in Chief.

I think it is safe to say that our founders would be genuinely concerned
about these recent developments in American democracy and that they would
feel that we are now facing a clear and present danger that has the
potential to threaten the future of the American experiment.

Shouldn't we be equally concerned? And shouldn't we ask ourselves how we
have come to this point?

Even though we are now attuned to orange alerts and the potential for
terrorist attacks, our founders would almost certainly caution us that the
biggest threat to the future of the America we love is still the endemic
challenge that democracies have always faced whenever they have appeared
in history - a challenge rooted in the inherent difficulty of self
governance and the vulnerability to fear that is part of human nature.
Again, specifically, the biggest threat to America is that we Americans
will acquiesce in the slow and steady accumulation of too much power in
the hands of one person.

Having painstakingly created the intricate design of America, our founders
knew intimately both its strengths and weaknesses, and during their
debates they not only identified the accumulation of power in the hands of
the executive as the long-term threat which they considered to be the most
serious, but they also worried aloud about one specific scenario in which
this threat might become particularly potent - that is, when war
transformed America's president into our commander in chief, they worried
that his suddenly increased power might somehow spill over its normal
constitutional boundaries and upset the delicate checks and balances they
deemed so crucial to the maintenance of liberty.

That is precisely why they took extra care to parse the war powers in the
constitution, assigning the conduct of war and command of the troops to
the president, but retaining for the Congress the crucial power of
deciding whether or not, and when, our nation might decide to go war.

Indeed, this limitation on the power of the executive to make war was seen
as crucially important. James Madison wrote in a letter to Thomas
Jefferson, "The constitution supposes, what the history of all governments
demonstrates, that the Executive is the branch of power most interested in
war, and most prone to it. It has accordingly with studied care, vested
the question of war in the legislature."

In more recent decades, the emergence of new weapons that virtually
eliminate the period of time between the decision to go to war and the
waging of war have naturally led to a reconsideration of the exact nature
of the executive's war-making power. But the practicalities of modern
warfare which necessarily increase the war powers of the President at the
expense of Congress do not render moot the concerns our founders had so
long ago that the making of war by the president - when added to his other
powers - carries with it the potential for unbalancing the careful design
of our constitution, and in the process, threatening our liberty.

They were greatly influenced - far more than we can imagine - by a careful
reading of the history and human dramas surrounding the democracies of
ancient Greece and the Roman republic. They knew, for example, that
democracy disappeared in Rome when Caesar crossed the Rubicon in violation
of the Senate's long prohibition against a returning general entering the
city while still in command of military forces. Though the Senate lingered
in form and was humored for decades, when Caesar impoliticly combined his
military commander role with his chief executive role, the Senate - and
with it the Republic - withered away. And then for all intents and
purposes, the great dream of democracy disappeared from the face of the
Earth for seventeen centuries, until its rebirth in our land.

Symbolically, President Bush has been attempting to conflate his
commander-in-chief role and his head of government role to maximize the
power people are eager to give those who promise to defend them against
active threats. But as he does so, we are witnessing some serious erosion
of the checks and balances that have always maintained a healthy democracy
in America.

In Justice Jackson's famous concurring opinion in the Youngstown Steel
case in the 1950's, the single most important Supreme Court case on the
subject of what powers are inherent to the commander in chief in a time of
war, he wrote, "The example of such unlimited executive power that must
have most impressed the forefathers was the prerogative exercised by
George III, and the description of its evils in the declaration of
independence leads me to doubt that they created their new Executive in
their image...and if we seek instruction from our own times, we can match
it only from the Executive governments we disparagingly describe as
totalitarian."

I am convinced that our founders would counsel us today that the greatest
challenge facing our republic is not terrorism but how we react to
terrorism, and not war, but how we manage our fears and achieve security
without losing our freedom. I am also convinced that they would warn us
that democracy itself is in grave danger if we allow any president to use
his role as commander in chief to rupture the careful balance between the
executive, the legislative and the judicial branches of government. Our
current president has gone to war and has come back into "the city" and
declared that our nation is now in a permanent state of war, which he says
justifies his reinterpretation of the Constitution in ways that increase
his personal power at the expense of Congress, the courts, and every
individual citizen.

We must surrender some of our traditional American freedoms, he tells us,
so that he may have sufficient power to protect us against those who would
do us harm. Public fear remains at an unusually high level almost three
years after we were attacked on September 11th, 2001. In response to those
devastating attacks, the president properly assumed his role as commander
in chief and directed a military invasion of the land in which our
attackers built their training camps, were harbored and planned their
assault. But just as the tide of battle was shifting decisively in our
favor, the commander in chief made a controversial decision to divert a
major portion of our army to invade another country that, according to the
best evidence compiled in a new, exhaustive, bi-partisan study, posed no
imminent threat to us and had nothing to do with the attack against us.

As the main body of our troops were redeployed for the new invasion, those
who organized the attacks against us escaped and many of them are still at
large. Indeed, their overall numbers seem to have grown considerably
because our invasion of the country that did not pose any imminent threat
to us was perceived in their part of the world as a gross injustice, and
the way in which we have conducted that war further fueled a sense of rage
against the United States in those lands and, according to several
studies, has stimulated a wave of new recruits for the terrorist group
that attacked us and still wishes us harm.

A little over a year ago, when we launched the war against this second
country, Iraq, President Bush repeatedly gave our people the clear
impression that Iraq was an ally and partner to the terrorist group that
attacked us, al Qaeda, and not only provided a geographic base for them
but was also close to providing them weapons of mass destruction,
including nuclear bombs. But now the extensive independent investigation
by the bipartisan commission formed to study the 9/11 attacks has just
reported that there was no meaningful relationship between Iraq and al
Qaeda of any kind. And, of course, over the course of this past year we
had previously found out that there were no weapons of mass destruction in
Iraq. So now, the President and the Vice President are arguing with this
commission, and they are insisting that the commission is wrong and they
are right, and that there actually was a working co-operation between Iraq
and al Qaeda.

The problem for the President is that he doesn't have any credible
evidence to support his claim, and yet, in spite of that, he persists in
making that claim vigorously. So I would like to pause for a moment to
address the curious question of why President Bush continues to make this
claim that most people know is wrong. And I think it's particularly
important because it is closely connected to the questions of
constitutional power with which I began this speech, and will profoundly
affect how that power is distributed among our three branches of
government.

To begin with, our founders wouldn't be the least bit surprised at what
the modern public opinion polls all tell us about why it's so important
particularly for President Bush to keep the American people from
discovering that what he told them about the linkage between Iraq and al
Qaeda isn't true. Among these Americans who still believe there is a
linkage, there remains very strong support for the President's decision to
invade Iraq. But among those who accept the commission's detailed finding
that there is no connection, support for the war in Iraq dries up pretty
quickly.

And that's understandable, because if Iraq had nothing to do with the
attack or the organization that attacked us, then that means the President
took us to war when he didn't have to. Almost nine hundred of our soldiers
have been killed, and almost five thousand have been wounded.

Thus, for all these reasons, President Bush and Vice President Cheney have
decided to fight to the rhetorical death over whether or not there's a
meaningful connection between Iraq and al Qaeda. They think that if they
lose that argument and people see the truth, then they'll not only lose
support for the controversial decision to go to war, but also lose some of
the new power they've picked up from the Congress and the courts, and face
harsh political consequences at the hands of the American people. As a
result, President Bush is now intentionally misleading the American people
by continuing to aggressively and brazenly assert a linkage between al
Qaeda and Saddam Hussein.

If he is not lying, if they genuinely believe that, that makes them unfit
in battle with al Qaeda. If they believe these flimsy scraps, then who
would want them in charge? Are they too dishonest or too gullible? Take
your pick.

But the truth is gradually emerging in spite of the President's determined
dissembling. Listen, for example, to this editorial from the Financial
Times: "There was nothing intrinsically absurd about the WMD fears, or
ignoble about the opposition to Saddam's tyranny - however late Washington
developed this. The purported link between Baghdad and al Qaeda, by
contrast, was never believed by anyone who knows Iraq and the region. It
was and is nonsense."

Of course the first rationale presented for the war was to destroy Iraq's
weapons of mass destruction, which turned out not to exist. Then the
rationale was to liberate Iraqis and the Middle East from tyranny, but our
troops were not greeted with the promised flowers and are now viewed as an
occupying force by 92% of Iraqis, while only 2% see them as liberators.

But right from the start, beginning very soon after the attacks of 9/11,
President Bush made a decision to start mentioning Osama bin Laden and
Saddam Hussein in the same breath in a cynical mantra designed to fuse
them together as one in the public's mind. He repeatedly used this device
in a highly disciplined manner to create a false impression in the minds
of the American people that Saddam Hussein was responsible for 9/11.
Usually he was pretty tricky in his exact wording. Indeed, Bush's
consistent and careful artifice is itself evidence that he knew full well
that he was telling an artful and important lie -- visibly
circumnavigating the truth over and over again as if he had practiced how
to avoid encountering the truth. But as I will document in a few moments,
he and Vice President Cheney also sometimes departed from their tricky
wording and resorted to statements were clearly outright falsehoods. In
any case, by the time he was done, public opinion polls showed that fully
70% of the American people had gotten the message he wanted them to get,
and had been convinced that Saddam Hussein was responsible for the 9/11
attacks.

The myth that Iraq and al Qaeda were working together was no accident -
the President and Vice President deliberately ignored warnings before the
war from international intelligence services, the CIA, and their own
Pentagon that the claim was false. Europe's top terrorism investigator
said in 2002, "We have found no evidence of links between Iraq and Al
Qaeda. If there were such links, we would have found them. But we have
found no serious connections whatsoever." A classified October 2002 CIA
report given to the White House directly undercut the Iraq-al Qaeda claim.
Top officials in the Pentagon told reporters in 2002 that the rhetoric
being used by President Bush and Vice President Cheney was "an
exaggeration."

And at least some honest voices within the President's own party admitted
as such. Senator Chuck Hagel, a decorated war hero who sits on the Foreign
Relations Committee, said point blank, "Saddam is not in league with al
Qaeda...I have not seen any intelligence that would lead me to connect
Saddam Hussein with al Qaeda."

But those voices did not stop the deliberate campaign to mislead America.
Over the course of a year, the President and Vice President used carefully
crafted language to scare Americans into believing there was an imminent
threat from an Iraq-armed al Qaeda.

In the fall of 2002, the President told the country "You can't distinguish
between al-Qaeda and Saddam" and that the "true threat facing our country
is an al Qaeda-type network trained and armed by Saddam." At the same
time, Vice President Cheney was repeating his claim that "there is
overwhelming evidence there was a connection between al Qaeda and the
Iraqi government."

By the Spring, Secretary of State Powell was in front of the United
Nations claiming a "sinister nexus between Iraq and the al-Qaeda terrorist
network."

But after the invasion, no ties were found. In June of 2003, the United
Nations Security Council's al Qaeda monitoring agency told reporters his
extensive investigation had found no evidence linking the Iraqi regime to
al Qaeda. By August, three former Bush administration national security
and intelligence officials admitted that the evidence used to make the
Iraq-al Qaeda claim was "tenuous, exaggerated and often at odds with the
conclusion of key intelligence agencies." And earlier this year,
Knight-Ridder newspapers reported "Senior U.S. officials now say there
never was any evidence" of a connection.

So when the bipartisan 9/11 commission issued its report finding "no
credible evidence" of an Iraq-al Qaeda connection, it should not have
caught the White House off guard. Yet instead of the candor Americans need
and deserve from their leaders, there have been more denials and more
insistence without evidence. Vice President Cheney insisted even this week
that "there clearly was a relationship" and that there is "overwhelming
evidence." Even more shocking, Cheney offered this disgraceful question:
"Was Iraq involved with al-Qaeda in the attack on 9/11? We don't know." He
then claimed that he "probably" had more information than the commission,
but has so far refused to provide anything to the commission other than
more insults.

The President was even more brazen. He dismissed all questions about his
statements by saying "The reason I keep insisting that there was a
relationship between Iraq and Saddam and al Qaeda, because there was a
relationship between Iraq and al Qaeda." He provided no evidence.

continued...