Info about subscribing or unsubscribing from this list is at the bottom of this
message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://snipurl.com/c3gf

Global Dimming
from BBC's "Horizon" Science and Nature Programme

NARRATOR (JACK FORTUNE): This is a film that demands action. It reveals
that we may have grossly underestimated the speed at which our climate is
changing. At its heart is a deadly new phenomenon. One that until very
recently scientists refused to believe even existed. But it may already
have led to the starvation of millions. Tonight Horizon examines for the
first time the power of what scientists are calling Global Dimming.

NARRATOR: September 12th 2001, the aftermath of tragedy. While America
mourned, the weather all over the country was unusually fine. Eight
hundred miles west of New York, in Madison, Wisconsin a climate scientist
called David Travis was on his way to work.

DR DAVID TRAVIS (University of Wisconsin, Whitewater): Around the twelfth,
later on in the day, when I was driving to work, and I noticed how bright
blue and clear the sky was. And at first I didn't think about it, then I
realised the sky was unusually clear.

NARRATOR: For 15 years Travis had been researching an apparently obscure
topic, whether the vapour trails left by aircraft were having a
significant effect on the climate. In the aftermath of 9/11 the entire US
fleet was grounded, and Travis finally had a chance to find out.

DR DAVID TRAVIS: It was certainly, you know, one of the tiny positives
that may have come out of this, an opportunity to do research that
hopefully will never happen again.

NARRATOR: Travis suspected the grounding might make a small but detectable
change to the climate. But what he observed was both immediate and
dramatic.

DR DAVID TRAVIS: We found that the change in temperature range during
those three days was just over one degrees C. And you have to realise that
from a layman's perspective that doesn't sound like much, but from a
climate perspective that is huge.

NARRATOR: One degree in just three days no one had ever seen such a big
climatic change happen so fast. This was a new kind of climate change.
Scientists call it Global Dimming. Two years ago most of them had never
even heard of it, yet now they believe it may mean all their predictions
about the future of our climate could be wrong. The trail that would lead
to the discovery of Global Dimming began 40 years ago, in Israel with the
work of a young English immigrant called Gerry Stanhill. A trained
biologist, Gerry got a job helping to design irrigation schemes. His task
was to measure how strongly the sun shone over Israel.

DR GERALD STANHILL (Agricultural Research Organisation, Israel): It was
important for this work to measure solar radiation, because that is the
factor that basically determines how much water crops require.

NARRATOR: For a year Gerry collected data from a network of light meters;
the results were much as expected, and were used to help design the
national irrigation system. But twenty years later, in the 1980s, Gerry
decided to repeat his measurements to check that they were still valid.
What he found, stunned him.

DR GERALD STANHILL: Well I was amazed to find that there was a very
serious reduction in sunlight, the amount of sunlight in Israel. In fact,
if we compare those very early measurements in the 1950s with the current
measurements, there was a staggering 22% drop in the sunlight, and that
really amazed me.

NARRATOR: A 22% drop in solar energy was simply massive. If it was true
surely Israelis should be freezing. There had to be something wrong. So
when Gerry published his results they were ignored. DR GERALD STANHILL: I
must say the publications had almost no effect whatsoever on the
scientific community.

NARRATOR: But in fact Gerry was not the only scientist who had noticed a
fall in sunlight. In Germany a young graduate climatologist called Beate
Liepert found that the same thing seemed to be happening over the Bavarian
Alps too. DR BEATE LIEPERT (Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory): I was the
same, I was as sceptical as any other climatologist. But then, um, I, I
saw the same results er in Germany, so um I believed him.

NARRATOR: Germany, Israel, what about the rest of the world? Working
independently of each other, Liepert and Stanhill began searching through
publications, journals and meteorological records from around the world.
And they both found the same extraordinary story. Between the 1950s and
the early 1990s the level of solar energy reaching the earth's surface had
dropped 9% in Antarctica, 10% in the USA, by almost 30% in Russia. And by
16% in parts of the British Isles. This was a truly global phenomenon, and
Gerry gave it a suitable name - Global Dimming. But again, the response
from other scientists was one of sheer disbelief.

DR GERALD STANHILL: The scientific community was obviously not ready to
deal with the fact that there was a Global Dimming phenomena.

NARRATOR: Of course, there was a good reason for the scepticism. Less
energy from the Sun should be making the world cooler. Yet scientists knew
the Earth was getting hotter. As the carbon dioxide and other greenhouse
gases we emit trap ever more heat in the Earth's atmosphere and cause
Global Warming.

DR BEATE LIEPERT: My friends' reaction actually to Gerry's and to my work
at the same time too was, oh my God this is really extreme, you are um
contradicting global warming. Er do you know how many billions of dollars
was spent on global warming research and you and this old guy er are
contradicting er us.

NARRATOR: So Liepert and Stanhill's work was widely dismissed. But Global
Dimming was not the only phenomenon that didn't seem to fit with Global
Warming. In Australia two more biologists, Michael Roderick and Graham
Farquhar were intrigued by another paradoxical result - the world-wide
decline in something called the pan evaporation rate.

PROF GRAHAM FARQUHAR (Australian National University): It's called pan
evaporation rate because it's evaporation rate from a pan. Every day all
over the world people come out in the morning and see how much water
they've got to add to a pan to bring it back to the level it was the same
time the morning before. It's that simple.

NARRATOR: In some places agricultural scientists have been performing this
rather dull daily task for more than a hundred years. PROF GRAHAM
FARQUHAR: The long-term measurements of pan evaporation are what gives it
its real value.

DR MICHAEL RODERICK (Australian National University): And the fact that
they're doing the same thing day in day out with the same instrument.

PROF GRAHAM FARQUHAR: Yeah, they deserve a medal. Each of them.

DR MICHAEL RODERICK: Yeah.

NARRATOR: For decades, nobody took much notice of the pan evaporation
measurements. But in the 1990s scientists spotted something very strange,
the rate of evaporation was falling.

PROF GRAHAM FARQUHAR: There is a paradox here about the fact that the pan
evaporation rate's going down, an apparent paradox, but the global
temperature's going up.

NARRATOR: This was a puzzle. Most scientists reasoned that like a pan on
the stove, turning up the global temperature should increase the rate at
which water evaporated. But Roderick and Farquhar did some calculations
and worked out that temperature was not the most important factor in pan
evaporation.

DR MICHAEL RODERICK: Well it turns out in fact that the key things for pan
evaporation are the sunlight, the humidity and the wind. But really the
sunlight is a really dominant term there.

NARRATOR: They found that it was the energy of the photons hitting the
surface, the actual sunlight, that kicks the water molecules out of the
pan and into the atmosphere. And so they too reached an extraordinary
conclusion.

DR MICHAEL RODERICK: You know, if the pan is going down then maybe that's
the sunlight going down. NARRATOR: Was the fall in pan evaporation in fact
evidence of Global Dimming? Somewhere in the journals, they felt, must be
the hard numbers that could tie the two things together.

DR MICHAEL RODERICK: And then one day, just by accident, I had to go to
the library to get an article out Nature. As you do, I couldn't find it.
And I just glanced at a, through the thing, and there was an article
called Evaporation Losing Its Strength. Which reported a decline in pan
evaporation over Russia, United States and Eastern Europe. And there in
the, in the measurements, they said that the, the pans had on average,
evaporated about a hundred millimetres less of water in the last thirty
years.

NARRATOR: Mike knew how much sunlight was needed to evaporate a millimetre
of water. So he put the two sets of figures together - the drop in
evaporation with the drop in sunlight.

DR MICHAEL RODERICK: And so you just do the sum in your head. A hundred
millimetres of water, less a pan evaporation, two and a half mega joules,
so two and a half times a hundred is two hundred and fifty mega joules.
And that is in fact what the Russians have measured with the decline in
sunlight in the last thirty years. It was quite amazing.

NARRATOR: It was the same with Europe and the USA. The drop in evaporation
rate matched exactly the drop in sunlight reported by Beate Liepert and
Gerry Stanhill. Two completely independent sets of observations had come
to the same conclusion. Though it seemed incredible, there was no doubting
Global Dimming now.

DR BEATE LIEPERT: All of a sudden you see, oh my God the world is dimming,
and then you, all of a sudden you see oh my God this really has a
tremendous impact.

PROF GRAHAM FARQUHAR: There had to be dimming in Europe in America and in
Russia, this is on a global scale. And we thought, this is really
important because the amount of dimming was enormous. So this is BIG on a
global scale.

NARRATOR: But what was causing it? Scientists knew that there was nothing
wrong with the sun itself. The culprit had to be here on Earth. And as
they searched for clues, they would make another startling discovery.
Global dimming is a killer. It may have been behind the worst climatic
disaster of recent times, responsible for famine and death on a biblical
scale. And Global Dimming is poised to strike again.

NARRATOR: The Maldives: a nation of a thousand tiny islands in the middle
of the Indian Ocean, so recently battered by the Asian tsunami. It was
here that Veerabhadran Ramanathan, one of the world's leading climate
scientists first began to unravel the mystery of what's causing Global
Dimming. He had first noticed declining sunlight over large areas of the
Pacific Ocean in the mid-1990s.

PROF VEERABHADRAN RAMANATHAN (University of California): But we didn't
know at that time it was part of a much larger global picture, but I knew
we had to find out what was causing that.

NARRATOR: Ramanathan was certain of one thing, the big drop in sunlight
reaching the ground had to be something to do with changes in the Earth's
atmosphere. There was one obvious suspect.

PROF VEERABHADRAN RAMANATHAN: Almost everything we do to create energy
causes pollution.

NARRATOR: Burning fuel doesn't just produce the invisible greenhouse gases
which cause global warming. It also produces visible pollution, tiny
airborne particles of soot and other pollutants. These produce the haze
which shrouds our cities. So Ramanathan wondered: Could this pollution be
causing Global Dimming? The Maldives were the perfect place to find out.
The Maldives seem unpolluted, but in fact the northern islands sit in a
stream of dirty air descending from India. Only the southern tip of the
long island chain enjoys clean air coming all the way from Antarctica. So
by comparing the northern islands with the southern ones, Ramanathan and
his colleagues would be able to see exactly what difference the pollution
made to the atmosphere and the sunlight. Project INDOEX, as it was called,
was a huge multinational effort. For four years every possible technique
was used to sample and monitor the atmosphere over the Maldives. INDOEX
cost twenty-five million dollars, but it produced results - and they
surprised everyone.

PROF VEERABHADRAN RAMANATHAN: The stunning part of the experiment was this
pollutant layer which was three kilometre thick, cut down the sunlight
reaching the ocean by more than 10%.

NARRATOR: A 10% fall in sunlight meant that particle pollution was having
a far bigger effect than anyone had thought possible.

PROF VEERABHADRAN RAMANATHAN: Our models led us to believe the human
impact on the dimming was close to half to one per cent. So what we
discovered was tenfold.

NARRATOR: INDOEX showed that the pollution particles were blocking some
sunlight themselves; but far more significant was what they were doing to
the clouds. They were turning them into giant mirrors. Clouds are made of
droplets of water. These only form when water vapour in the atmosphere
starts to condense on the surface of naturally occurring airborne
particles, typically pollen or sea salt. As they grow, the water droplets
eventually become so heavy they fall as rain. But Ramanathan found that
polluted air contained far more particles than the unpolluted air,
particles of ash, soot and sulphur dioxide.

PROF VEERABHADRAN RAMANATHAN: We saw ten times more particles in the
polluted air mass north of the Maldives compared with what we saw south of
the Maldives which was a pristine air mass.

NARRATOR: In the polluted air billions of man-made particles provided ten
times as many sites around which water droplets could form. So polluted
clouds contained many more water droplets, each one far smaller than it
would be naturally. Many small droplets reflect more light than fewer big
ones. So the polluted clouds were reflecting more light back into space,
preventing the heat of the sun getting through. This was the cause of
Global Dimming.

PROF VEERABHADRAN RAMANATHAN: Basically the Global Dimming we saw in the
North Indian Ocean, it was contributed on the one hand by the particles
themselves shielding the ocean from the sunlight, on the other hand making
the clouds brighter. So this insidious soup, consisting of soot,
sulphates, nitrates, ash and what have you, was having a double whammy on
the Global Dimming.

NARRATOR: And when he looked at satellite images, Ramanathan found the
same thing was happening all over the world. Over India. Over China, and
extending into the Pacific. Over Western Europe... extending into Africa.
Over the British Isles. But it was when scientists started to investigate
the effects of Global Dimming that they made the most disturbing discovery
of all. Those more reflective clouds could alter the pattern of the
world's rainfall. With tragic consequences.

continued...

web address to view the list's archives or to unsubscribe.

E-mail accounts that become full, inactive or out of order for more than a few
days will be deleted from this list.

FAIR USE NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
information in this e-mail is distributed without profit to those who have
expressed a prior interest in receiving it for research and educational
purposes.  I am making such material available in an effort to advance
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy,
scientific, and social justice issues, etc. I believe this constitutes a 'fair
use' of copyrighted material as provided for in the US Copyright Law.