Info about subscribing or unsubscribing from this list is at the bottom of this
message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

see also:

http://www.sfbayview.com/083105/thisiscriminal083105.shtml
'This is criminal': Malik Rahim reports from New Orleans

--------------

excerpt from:

http://snipurl.com/hhos

A Failure of Leadership
By BOB HERBERT, NYT

... After days of withering criticism from white and black Americans, from
conservatives as well as liberals, from Republicans and Democrats, the
president finally felt compelled to act, however feebly. (The chorus of
criticism from nearly all quarters demanding that the president do
something tells me that the nation as a whole is so much better than this
administration.)

Mr. Bush flew south on Friday and proved (as if more proof were needed)
that he didn't get it. Instead of urgently focusing on the people who were
stranded, hungry, sick and dying, he engaged in small talk, reminiscing at
one point about the days when he used to party in New Orleans, and
mentioning that Trent Lott had lost one of his houses but that it would be
replaced with "a fantastic house - and I'm looking forward to sitting on
the porch."

Mr. Bush's performance last week will rank as one of the worst ever by a
president during a dire national emergency. What we witnessed, as clearly
as the overwhelming agony of the city of New Orleans, was the dangerous
incompetence and the staggering indifference to human suffering of the
president and his administration.

And it is this incompetence and indifference to suffering (yes, the
carnage continues to mount in Iraq) that makes it so hard to be optimistic
about the prospects for the United States over the next few years. At a
time when effective, innovative leadership is desperately needed to cope
with matters of war and peace, terrorism and domestic security, the
economic imperatives of globalization and the rising competition for oil,
the United States is being led by a man who seems oblivious to the reality
of his awesome responsibilities.

Like a boy being prepped for a second crack at a failed exam, Mr. Bush has
been meeting with his handlers to see what steps can be taken to minimize
the political fallout from this latest demonstration of his ineptitude.
But this is not about politics. It's about competence. And when the
president is so obviously clueless about matters so obviously important,
it means that the rest of us, like the people left stranded in New
Orleans, are in deep, deep trouble.

-------------------

http://snipurl.com/hhpj

September 4, 2005
New York Times

Law Officers, Overwhelmed, Are Quitting the Force
By JOSEPH B. TREASTER

NEW ORLEANS, Sept. 3 - Reeling from the chaos of this overwhelmed city, at
least 200 New Orleans police officers have walked away from their jobs and
two have committed suicide, police officials said on Saturday.

Some officers told their superiors they were leaving, police officials
said. Others worked for a while and then stopped showing up. Still others,
for reasons not always clear, never made it in after the storm.

The absences come during a period of extraordinary stress for the New
Orleans Police Department. For nearly a week, many of its 1,500 members
have had to work around the clock, trying to cope with flooding, an
overwhelming crush of refugees, looters and occasional snipers.

P. Edwin Compass III, the superintendent of police, said most of his
officers were staying at their posts. But in an unusual note of sympathy
for a top police official, he said it was understandable that many were
frustrated. He said morale was "not very good."

"If I put you out on the street and made you get into gun battles all day
with no place to urinate and no place to defecate, I don't think you would
be too happy either," Mr. Compass said in an interview. "Our vehicles
can't get any gas. The water in the street is contaminated. My officers
are walking around in wet shoes."

Fire Department officials said they did not know of any firefighters who
had quit. But they, too, were sympathetic to struggling emergency workers.

W. J. Riley, the assistant superintendent of police, said there were about
1,200 officers on duty on Saturday. He said the department was not sure
how many officers had decided to abandon their posts and how many simply
could not get to work.

Mr. Riley said some of the officers who left the force "couldn't handle
the pressure" and were "certainly not the people we need in this
department."

He said, "The others are not here because they lost a spouse, or their
family or their home was destroyed."

Police officials did not identify the officers who took their lives, one
on Saturday and the other the day before. But they said one had been a
patrol officer, who a senior officer said "was absolutely outstanding."
The other was an aide to Mr. Compass. The superintendent said his aide had
lost his home in the hurricane and had been unable to find his family.

Because of the hurricane, many police officers and firefighters have been
isolated and unable to report for duty. Others evacuated their families
and have been unable to get back to New Orleans.

Still, some officers simply appear to have given up.

A Baton Rouge police officer said he had a friend on the New Orleans force
who told him he threw his badge out a car window in disgust just after
fleeing the city into neighboring Jefferson Parish as the hurricane
approached. The Baton Rouge officer would not give his name, citing a
department policy banning comments to the news media.

The officer said he had also heard of an incident in which two men in a
New Orleans police cruiser were stopped in Baton Rouge on suspicion of
driving a stolen squad car. The men were, in fact, New Orleans officers
who had ditched their uniforms and were trying to reach a town in north
Louisiana, the officer said.

"They were doing everything to get out of New Orleans," he said. "They
didn't have the resources to do the job, or a plan, so they left."

The result is an even heavier burden on those who are patrolling the
street, rescuing flood victims and trying to fight fires with no running
water, no electricity, no reliable telephones.

Police and fire officials have been begging federal authorities for
assistance and criticizing a lack of federal response for several days.

"We need help," said Charles Parent, the superintendent of the Fire
Department. Mr. Parent again appealed in an interview on Saturday for
replacement fire trucks and radio equipment from federal authorities. And
Mr. Compass again appealed for more federal help.

"When I have officers committing suicide," Mr. Compass said, "I think
we've reached a point when I don't know what more it's going to take to
get the attention of those in control of the response."

The National Guard has come under criticism for not moving more quickly
into New Orleans. Lt. Gen. H Steven Blum, the head of the National Guard
Bureau, told reporters on Saturday that the Guard had not moved in sooner
because it had not anticipated the collapse of civilian law enforcement.

Some patrol officers said morale had been low on the force even before the
hurricane. One patrolman said the complaints included understaffing and a
lack of equipment.

"We have to use our own shotguns," said the patrolman, who did not want to
be identified by name. "This isn't theirs; this is my personal gun."

Another patrol officer said that many of the officers who had quit were
younger, inexperienced officers who were overwhelmed by the task.

Some officers have expressed anger at colleagues who have stopped working.
"For all you cowards that are supposed to wear the badge," one officer
said on Fox News, "are you truly - can you truly wear the badge, like our
motto said?"

The Police and Fire Departments are being forced to triage the calls they
get for help.

The firefighters are simply not responding to some fires. In some cases,
they cannot get through the flooding. But in others, they decide not to
send trucks because they are needed for more serious fires.

"We can't fight every fire the way we did in the past and try to put it
out," Superintendent Parent told a group of firefighters on Saturday
morning at a promotion ceremony in the Algiers section of New Orleans, a
dry area.

Even facing much more work than could possibly be handled, he said, it was
important for him to take time out for two promotion ceremonies.

"The men need reinforcement," said Mr. Parent, who put on his last clean
uniform shirt for the ceremonies elevating 22 officers to the rank of
captain. "They need to see their leader and understand that the department
is still here and not going to pot."

Susan Saulny contributed reporting from Baton Rouge, La., for this
article, and John DeSantis from New Orleans.

web address to view the list's archives or to unsubscribe.

E-mail accounts that become full, inactive or out of order for more than a few
days will become disabled or deleted from this list.

FAIR USE NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
information in this e-mail is distributed without profit to those who have
expressed a prior interest in receiving it for research and educational
purposes.  I am making such material available in an effort to advance
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy,
scientific, and social justice issues, etc. I believe this constitutes a 'fair
use' of copyrighted material as provided for in the US Copyright Law.