Info about subscribing or unsubscribing from this list is at the bottom of this
message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The First Thanksgiving in America

>From the Community Endeavor News, November, 1995, as reprinted in Healing
Global Wounds, Fall, 1996

The first official Thanksgiving wasn't a festive gathering of Indians and
Pilgrims, but rather a celebration of the massacre of 700 Pequot men,
women and children, an anthropologist says. Due to age and illness his
voice cracks as he talks about the holiday, but William B. Newell, 84,
talks with force as he discusses Thanksgiving. Newell, a Penobscot Indian,
has degrees from two universities, and was the former chairman of the
anthropology department at the University of Connecticut.

"Thanksgiving Day was first officially proclaimed by the Governor of the
Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1637 to commemorate the massacre of 700 men,
women and children who were celebrating their annual green corn
dance-Thanksgiving Day to them-in their own house," Newell said.

"Gathered in this place of meeting they were attacked by mercenaries and
Dutch and English. The Indians were ordered from the building and as they
came forth they were shot down. The rest were burned alive in the
building," he said.

Newell based his research on studies of Holland Documents and the 13
volume Colonial Documentary History, both thick sets of letters and
reports from colonial officials to their superiors and the king in
England, and the private papers of Sir William Johnson, British Indian
agent for the New York colony for 30 years in the mid-1600s.

"My research is authentic because it is documentary," Newell said. "You
can't get anything more accurate than that because it is first hand. It is
not hearsay."

Newell said the next 100 Thanksgivings commemorated the killing of the
Indians at what is now Groton, Ct. [home of a nuclear submarine base]
rather than a celebration with them. He said the image of Indians and
Pilgrims sitting around a large table to celebrate Thanksgiving Day was
"fictitious" although Indians did share food with the first settlers.

--------------

For more info on the National Day of Mourning, see the website of the
United American Indians of New England at:
http://home.earthlink.net/%7Euainendom/

Thanksgiving: A National Day of Mourning for Indians
by Moonanum James and Mahtowin Munro

Every year since 1970, United American Indians of New England have
organized the National Day of Mourning observance in Plymouth at noon on
Thanksgiving Day. Every year, hundreds of Native people and our supporters
from all four directions join us. Every year, including this year, Native
people from throughout the Americas will speak the truth about our history
and about current issues and struggles we are involved in.

Why do hundreds of people stand out in the cold rather than sit home
eating turkey and watching football? Do we have something against a
harvest festival?

Of course not. But Thanksgiving in this country -- and in particular in
Plymouth -- is much more than a harvest home festival. It is a celebration
of the pilgrim mythology.

According to this mythology, the pilgrims arrived, the Native people fed
them and welcomed them, the Indians promptly faded into the background,
and everyone lived happily ever after.

The truth is a sharp contrast to that mythology.

The pilgrims are glorified and mythologized because the circumstances of
the first English-speaking colony in Jamestown were frankly too ugly (for
example, they turned to cannibalism to survive) to hold up as an effective
national myth. The pilgrims did not find an empty land any more than
Columbus "discovered" anything. Every inch of this land is Indian land.
The pilgrims (who did not even call themselves pilgrims) did not come here
seeking religious freedom; they already had that in Holland. They came
here as part of a commercial venture. They introduced sexism, racism,
anti-lesbian and gay bigotry, jails, and the class system to these shores.
One of the very first things they did when they arrived on Cape Cod --
before they even made it to Plymouth -- was to rob Wampanoag graves at
Corn Hill and steal as much of the Indians' winter provisions of corn and
beans as they were able to carry. They were no better than any other group
of Europeans when it came to their treatment of the Indigenous peoples
here. And no, they did not even land at that sacred shrine called Plymouth
Rock, a monument to racism and oppression which we are proud to say we
buried in 1995.

The first official "Day of Thanksgiving" was proclaimed in 1637 by
Governor Winthrop. He did so to celebrate the safe return of men from the
Massachusetts Bay Colony who had gone to Mystic, Connecticut to
participate in the massacre of over 700 Pequot women, children, and men.

About the only true thing in the whole mythology is that these pitiful
European strangers would not have survived their first several years in
"New England" were it not for the aid of Wampanoag people. What Native
people got in return for this help was genocide, theft of our lands, and
never-ending repression. We are treated either as quaint relics from the
past, or are, to most people, virtually invisible.

When we dare to stand up for our rights, we are considered unreasonable.
When we speak the truth about the history of the European invasion, we are
often told to "go back where we came from." Our roots are right here. They
do not extend across any ocean.

National Day of Mourning began in 1970 when a Wampanoag man, Wamsutta
Frank James, was asked to speak at a state dinner celebrating the 350th
anniversary of the pilgrim landing. He refused to speak false words in
praise of the white man for bringing civilization to us poor heathens.
Native people from throughout the Americas came to Plymouth, where they
mourned their forebears who had been sold into slavery, burned alive,
massacred, cheated, and mistreated since the arrival of the Pilgrims in
1620.

But the commemoration of National Day of Mourning goes far beyond the
circumstances of 1970.

Can we give thanks as we remember Native political prisoner Leonard
Peltier, who was framed up by the FBI and has been falsely imprisoned
since 1976? Despite mountains of evidence exonerating Peltier and the
proven misconduct of federal prosecutors and the FBI, Peltier has been
denied a new trial.

To Native people, the case of Peltier is one more ordeal in a litany of
wrongdoings committed by the U.S. government against us. While the media
in New England present images of the "Pequot miracle" in Connecticut, the
vast majority of Native people continue to live in the most abysmal
poverty.

Can we give thanks for the fact that, on many reservations, unemployment
rates surpass fifty percent? Our life expectancies are much lower, our
infant mortality and teen suicide rates much higher, than those of white
Americans. Racist stereotypes of Native people, such as those perpetuated
by the Cleveland Indians, the Atlanta Braves, and countless local and
national sports teams, persist. Every single one of the more than 350
treaties that Native nations signed has been broken by the U.S.
government. The bipartisan budget cuts have severely reduced educational
opportunities for Native youth and the development of new housing on
reservations, and have caused cause deadly cutbacks in health-care and
other necessary services.

Are we to give thanks for being treated as unwelcome in our own country?

Or perhaps we are expected to give thanks for the war that is being waged
by the Mexican government against Indigenous peoples there, with the
military aid of the U.S. in the form of helicopters and other equipment?
When the descendants of the Aztec, Maya, and Inca flee to the U.S., the
descendants of the wash-ashore pilgrims term them 'illegal aliens" and
hunt them down.

We object to the "Pilgrim Progress" parade and to what goes on in Plymouth
because they are making millions of tourist dollars every year from the
false pilgrim mythology. That money is being made off the backs of our
slaughtered indigenous ancestors.

Increasing numbers of people are seeking alternatives to such holidays as
Columbus Day and Thanksgiving. They are coming to the conclusion that, if
we are ever to achieve some sense of community, we must first face the
truth about the history of this country and the toll that history has
taken on the lives of millions of Indigenous, Black, Latino, Asian, and
poor and working class white people.

The myth of Thanksgiving, served up with dollops of European superiority
and manifest destiny, just does not work for many people in this country.
As Malcolm X once said about the African-American experience in America,
"We did not land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us." Exactly.

web address to view the list's archives or to unsubscribe.

E-mail accounts that become full, inactive or out of order for more than a few
days will become disabled or deleted from this list.

FAIR USE NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
information in this e-mail is distributed without profit to those who have
expressed a prior interest in receiving it for research and educational
purposes.  I am making such material available in an effort to advance
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy,
scientific, and social justice issues, etc. I believe this constitutes a 'fair
use' of copyrighted material as provided for in the US Copyright Law.