Info about subscribing or unsubscribing from this list is at the bottom of this
message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/05/federal_source_.html

Federal Source to ABC News: We Know Who You're Calling
May 15, 2006 10:33 AM

Brian Ross and Richard Esposito Report:

A senior federal law enforcement official tells ABC News the government is
tracking the phone numbers we (Brian Ross and Richard Esposito) call in an
effort to root out confidential sources.

"It's time for you to get some new cell phones, quick," the source told us
in an in-person conversation.

ABC News does not know how the government determined who we are calling,
or whether our phone records were provided to the government as part of
the recently-disclosed NSA collection of domestic phone calls.

Other sources have told us that phone calls and contacts by reporters for
ABC News, along with the New York Times and the Washington Post, are being
examined as part of a widespread CIA leak investigation.

One former official was asked to sign a document stating he was not a
confidential source for New York Times reporter James Risen.

Our reports on the CIA's secret prisons in Romania and Poland were known
to have upset CIA officials. The CIA asked for an FBI investigation of
leaks of classified information following those reports.

People questioned by the FBI about leaks of intelligence information say
the CIA was also disturbed by ABC News reports that revealed the use of
CIA predator missiles inside Pakistan.

Under Bush Administration guidelines, it is not considered illegal for the
government to keep track of numbers dialed by phone customers.

The official who warned ABC News said there was no indication our phones
were being tapped so the content of the conversation could be recorded.

A pattern of phone calls from a reporter, however, could provide valuable
clues for leak investigators.

---------

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5406677

Update from NPR's blog:

Now, I saw this earlier today and didn't blog about it until we (by "we,"
I mean people other than myself) actually did some reporting. There has
been concern among reporters since the NSA tracking story broke that,
given this administration's zealous pursuit of leakers, we might have been
caught up in the net the NSA spread out. People at both the Washington
Post and the New York Times say they aren't aware of anything as concrete
as the ABC story.

Let's be very clear that we only have one source from another news
organization on this... and we don't know if this guy who is talking to
ABC has direct knowledge of this, or is only theorizing that it's
possible...

web address to view the list's archives or to unsubscribe.

E-mail accounts that become full, inactive or out of order for more than a few
days will become disabled or deleted from this list.

FAIR USE NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
information in this e-mail is distributed without profit to those who have
expressed a prior interest in receiving it for research and educational
purposes.  I am making such material available in an effort to advance
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy,
scientific, and social justice issues, etc. I believe this constitutes a 'fair
use' of copyrighted material as provided for in the US Copyright Law.